Skip to content

Group the Loop 1.4 out now!

edited August 2018 in News

Hi everyone,

The new update, version 1.4, is available now.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/group-the-loop/id1029416579?mt=8

Here's a quick overview of some of the new features.

•   AUv3 effect hosting

•   Greatly improved MIDI control

•   Ableton Link “Sync Start/Stop” support

•   Drag and drop support

•   Audiobus 3 support

•   New and improved loop engine

•   Mute and overdub CUE options

•   64 frame buffer size support

•   and much more...

App Store preview:

Thanks to everyone for all your support, especially the beta testers!

Any questions just ask here :)

Comments

• Amazing work dude!
    It could be possible reopen the wishlist post as new from here and also the iPhone survey due to Apple’s obsesion to make iPhones bigger than discontinnued iPad minis?

• @Jack. Stellar update! Really enjoying master volume, effects insert, mute, all the new stuff.
    Recorded a session today and everything worked perfectly.
    Going back to listen to it tonight and the volume is really weak. All of the sessions are doing the same thing. Looking at Audio input I can’t see what I’m doing wrong.
    Any advice?

• edited August 2018
    > @Ben said:
    > @Jack. Stellar update! Really enjoying master volume, effects insert, mute, all the new stuff.
    > Recorded a session today and everything worked perfectly.
    > Going back to listen to it tonight and the volume is really weak. All of the sessions are doing the same thing. Looking at Audio input I can’t see what I’m doing wrong.
    > Any advice?

Hey @Ben, glad you’re enjoying it! How did you record into the app, was it with an interface? The input volume can be a lot lower with an interface. If you then listen back through the iPad speakers it can sound significantly quieter.

If that’s not the case then I’m not sure what’s going on, any more details would be useful.

There is no Master volume, but there is an input volume and a master group volume. This maybe obvious but have you checked the hardware/iPad volume?
  • @dubbylabby said:
    Amazing work dude!
    It could be possible reopen the wishlist post as new from here and also the iPhone survey due to Apple’s obsesion to make iPhones bigger than discontinnued iPad minis?

Thanks for your support @dubbylabby.
    Yes I’ll post a new wish list thread and stick it to the top. I did start development on the iphone version but haven’t touched it for awhile, one day...

• I know too many changes in short time period had reshape the whole landscape...

• Congrats Jack!

Hope you get some decent renumeration from all this.

• One question - how do I import a loop from iCloud ?

Can this be done directly - say via the iOS folder via drag drop or does everything have to be in AudioShare? I can't recall how to get at iCloud data from AudioShare.

finally - did you fix the issues with loop start/end position metadata ?

• Hi @nonchai,
    Just drag and drop from iCloud using the files app.

Not had a chance to look into the metadata yet. I’ll keep you updated when I do.
  • @Jack said:
    Hi @nonchai,
    Just drag and drop from iCloud using the files app.

I've tried his but last time i recall doing this i couldn't get the flies app and GTL to both display as two multi-task- side by side windows.

Any chance of a short youtube video demonstrating how you do it ?

( or some explicit step by step instructions )

• edited August 2018
    Yes you need to use slide over. Here's a little video.
    http://grouptheloop.com/vanilla/uploads/videos/GTL-Drag-and-Drop-Demo.mp4
  • Hi did this update bring multiple outputs? thanks!
  • > @AbleThought said:
    > Hi did this update bring multiple outputs? thanks!

No it didn’t I’m afraid. I’m still unsure as how to deliver this. GTL has 21 groups with 4 loops in each. Possibly we could have an output for each loop in the master group and each loop in the current active group. What are your thoughts?
  • I should take the time to draw my idea explained at iphone topic...

• edited September 2018
    > @Jack said:
    > No it didn’t I’m afraid. I’m still unsure as how to deliver this. GTL has 21 groups with 4 loops in each. Possibly we could have an output for each loop in the master group and each loop in the current active group. What are your thoughts?

group outs is what i would think. similar to how quntiloop does it.

Input would have an output
    Each group would have an output

i believe AUM and Audiobus are limited to 8 seperate outputs so thats an option ( maybe an ios limitation) . the first 8 groups could come into host as seperate inputs.

to me the 4 loops in each group would be treated similar so i dont see a need for loops to have seperate outs.. then again i dont know how other people are using the app.
  • @AbleThought said:
    > @Jack said:
    > No it didn’t I’m afraid. I’m still unsure as how to deliver this. GTL has 21 groups with 4 loops in each. Possibly we could have an output for each loop in the master group and each loop in the current active group. What are your thoughts?

group outs is what i would think. similar to how quntiloop does it.

Input would have an output
    Each group would have an output

i believe AUM and Audiobus are limited to 8 seperate outputs so thats an option ( maybe an ios limitation) . the first 8 groups could come into host as seperate inputs.

to me the 4 loops in each group would be treated similar so i dont see a need for loops to have seperate outs.. then again i dont know how other people are using the app.

I agree, group outs would be the most useful.

Ultimately I would like to make the outputs patchable so you can route whatever you like to them. This means a new settings view though, lots of work...

• edited October 2018
    Dedicated loops outs make instruments coherent across song parts. Just song part bus out doesn’t makes any use for me against just how it works now. Another solution could be Ableton export and edit there.
    I see bus routing from left to right not to up to down.
    Main group also “should” be the main dedicated bus with the option to link each slot to an instrument line.

I supose is the way I look at GTL which makes this sense for me but I ser it as non linear backtrack composition tool, not just as “looper”.

Quantiloop is an amazing app but due its “classical” approach is “lightyears” behind GTL in live performance song based.
    It’s like rc505 vs Djs1000. Both can loop but just one could make song structure work.

• @dubbylabby said:
    Dedicated loops outs make instruments coherent across song parts. Just song part bus out doesn’t makes any use for me against just how it works now. Another solution could be Ableton export and edit there.
    I see bus routing from left to right not to up to down.
    Main group also “should” be the main dedicated bus with the option to link each slot to an instrument line.

I supose is the way I look at GTL which makes this sense for me but I ser it as non linear backtrack composition tool, not just as “looper”.

Quantiloop is an amazing app but due its “classical” approach is “lightyears” behind GTL in live performance song based.
    It’s like rc505 vs Djs1000. Both can loop but just one could make song structure work.

Thanks @dubbylabby, yes I can see your need for individual loop outputs but relative to the 'active' group.

So my thoughts are to have 8 IAA outputs which are all individually assignable.

An example of user selected output routing:
    Output 1 = Loop 1 group 1.
    Output 2 = Loop 2 group 1.
    Output 3 = Loop 1 in active group.
    Output 4 = Loop 2 in active group.
    Output 5 = Master group.
    Output 6 = Group 1.
    Output 7 = Active group.
    Output 8 = Metronome.

This would mean a new settings view. It's not going to happen quickly but I believe it to be the best solution.

• If you develop a matrix like that most of the user cases will be covered. The problem will be implement it in easy way from UI/UX...

Will you include somekind of mixer too? Also, it will be related to the promised audio editor?
    It will be gorgeous... <3

• > @Jack said:
    > @AbleThought said:
    > > @Jack said:
    > > No it didn’t I’m afraid. I’m still unsure as how to deliver this. GTL has 21 groups with 4 loops in each. Possibly we could have an output for each loop in the master group and each loop in the current active group. What are your thoughts?
    >
    > group outs is what i would think. similar to how quntiloop does it.
    >
    > Input would have an output
    > Each group would have an output
    >
    > i believe AUM and Audiobus are limited to 8 seperate outputs so thats an option ( maybe an ios limitation) . the first 8 groups could come into host as seperate inputs.
    >
    > to me the 4 loops in each group would be treated similar so i dont see a need for loops to have seperate outs.. then again i dont know how other people are using the app.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I agree, group outs would be the most useful.
    >
    > Ultimately I would like to make the outputs patchable so you can route whatever you like to them. This means a new settings view though, lots of work...

@Jack

Another idea i had was if GTL was an audio unit that went into an effects slot..

So imaging using AUM or audiobus and placing GTL as an effect anywhere in the chain. You would basically get one group with loops inside.

this gives unlimited outs as you would be able to sprinkle a group of loops anywhere in your mixes.

its a way different approach but would be very flexable.
  • I updated that iPhone post with all the mockups related to multiple outputs and AUv3 version of GTL. Please take a look and comment.

• @Jack @dubbylabby My vote would be AUv3 by a landslide. first of its kind.

on another note.. Can loops be exported?
  • @AbleThought, love the idea of AUv3 groups. I’ve wanted to make GTL AUv3 for for awhile and this is the way to go I suspect.

Yes you can export loops, either use AudioShare, swipe down on a loop and tap the AudioShare icon. Alternatively, hold press on a loop and drag out to the desired app, e.g files app.
  • @Jack said:
    @AbleThought, love the idea of AUv3 groups. I’ve wanted to make GTL AUv3 for for awhile and this is the way to go I suspect.

Yes you can export loops, either use AudioShare, swipe down on a loop and tap the AudioShare icon. Alternatively, hold press on a loop and drag out to the desired app, e.g files app.

I can do similar mockup thing with suposed routing (or even editing) page but it wilk be cool to know what are your roadmap thoughs to bring just useful things and not wishful thinking :lol: