Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Separate out Drums,Metronome,Performance options from Settings menu. Put on new buttons instead.

edited November 2016 in Feature Wish-lists
Currently there are many aspects which have been grouped under the SETTINGS button which I think conceptually and practically belong and would be better separated out elsewhere - chiefly such drum style metronome and performance.

Typical in apps - “Settings” or “preferences” menus or buttons tend to be used for things that one is not likely to change much from session to session. So can be hid away under such a button and the complexity of access isn’t much of an issue.

But Drum style, metronome and record performance - are aspects that will be used very frequently so need as few “clicks” to access them.

So maybe add a new button for PERFORMANCE.

And for drum style and metronome options - how about bringing up the options for either of those simply by holding down the DRUM or METRONOME button for either for more than say a second or more in order to invoke. Obviously one wants to avoid cluttering that lovely minimal interface but access to these oft-used features need to be made less fiddly and quicker.

Comments

• edited November 2016
    I see what you mean, over time/updates GTL has had features added and this has made the settings list longer and longer. I don't what to add too many more buttons, as you say this could clutter up the interface, so i think maybe sub categories are the key here. Like you suggest, separate the performance elements from the session management and other settings.

I think it's important that everything can be accessed from one setting/options button to save confusion for the user. A perfect example of such confusion is in Logic Pro. It has 'Preferences' and 'Options' and for years I been opening one only find what I'm looking for is in the other. However I fully get your point that certain things need to be accessed quickly, i.e drummer and metronome settings. Yes these settings could be accessed with a hold press on the button itself as well as from within the settings view. I will add it to the list, good idea.

Thanks for your ideas!
  • Agree. the worst example of "menu bloat" is Band-In-A-Box - a superb tool - but one which has evolved over decades and amassed tons of options in preferences .. such as it really needs a UI overhaul.

And for sure - any method which avoids more button-clutter the better. Minimalism all the way. Although Even such a venerable looper as loopyHD is now unwieldy in its hierarchical layer-tree of settings.

Best of British Luck :)