Skip to content

MIDI Bindings, suggestions welcome!

edited March 2017 in Development Blog
Hi all, i'm currently putting together the new MIDI binding settings for GTL. I suppose the main objective of this is to make GTL more customisable to suit as many different setups and workflows as possible.

So here are some of the functions i've got already. All questions/suggestions welcome.

Global

Transport:
• Play/Stop
• Play All
• Stop All
• Reset Session
• Divide Clock
• Times Clock
• CUE (Toggle)
• Count in (Toggle)
• Tempo (Adjust tempo via CC value)
• Set Tempo (Set a specific tempo)
• Tap Tempo
• Step Tempo (Increment tempo by given amount)
• Reset Tempo (Reset to original tempo)
• Switch Tempo Algorithm (Toggle Between pitch and time stretch tempo algorithms)

Session:
• Load Session (Load any session of choice)
• Load Previous Session
• Load Next Session

Audio:
• Set Audio Input (Change audio input to any available input)
• Next Audio Input
• Previous Audio Input
• Stereo Link (Toggle)
• Headphone Monitoring (Toggle)

Drummer:
• Drummer (Toggle)
• Select Next Drum Pattern
• Select Previous Drum Pattern
• Drummer Volume

Metronome:
• Metronome (Toggle)
• MetronomeVolume

Record Performance:
• Record Performance (Toggle)

Group
• Select Previous Group
• Select Next Group
• Select Group (User defines specific group)
• Play/Stop Selected Group
• Select Previous Loop
• Select Next Loop
• Group Volume
• Group Pan
• Fade Group
• Record Loop 1
• Record Loop 2
• Record Loop 3
• Record Loop 4
• Mute Loop 1
• Mute Loop 2
• Mute Loop 3
• Mute Loop 4
• Clear Loop 1
• Clear Loop 2
• Clear Loop 3
• Clear Loop 4
• Loop 1 Volume
• Loop 2 Volume
• Loop 3 Volume
• Loop 4 Volume
• Loop 1 Pan
• Loop 2 Pan
• Loop 3 Pan
• Loop 4 Pan
• Fade Loop 1
• Fade Loop 2
• Fade Loop 3
• Fade Loop 4
• Undo Loop 1
• Undo Loop 2
• Undo Loop 3
• Undo Loop 4
• Redo Loop 1
• Redo Loop 2
• Redo Loop 3
• Redo Loop 4

Loop
• Select Previous Loop (In session or selected group)
• Select Next Loop (In session or selected group)
• Select Loop (Specific loop defined by user)
• Record Selected Loop
• Mute Selected Loop
• Clear Selected Loop
• Selected Loop Volume
• Selected Loop Pan
• Fade Selected Loop
• Undo
• Redo

Effects: (Suggested by @dubbylabby)
• Effect parameter control
(Options include: loop number, insert slot, effect type, parameter to control, wether to add effect if it does not exist on loop already)

Comments

• Aaawyeeeah!

For each loop slot and audio input:
    Fx on/off
    Reverb/Delay Fx Amount/level, time
    Filter Fx Value
    Gate Fx thresold, attack, release, ratio

Almost with default Fx until it could be possible with IAA ones...

Enable/disable Ableton link
    Time Signature: set to... / toggle

;)

• Ah yes effects control, thanks @dubbylabby. I will have to have a think about how this will work but good idea.
  • edited March 2017
    Maybe making each group a different midi channel? Or almost numbering the fx by channel (FX1 Group1;FX2 Group1// FXn Groupn... FX1 GroupMain;FX2 GroupMain;FX3 GroupMain.

It will be consistent with the Ableton export idea... AUM works in this way and gives you an idea to how to implement the menu and midi learn. :)
  • edited March 2017
    Looks great! :smiley: I can't think of any extras off the top of my head.

It like the way you have the "Step tempo" function so you can increase (or decrease I presume) the tempo by a set amount.

I've often wished that many other apps had a similar step function assignable to volume - so that you can use a switch rather than an expression pedal / knob to change volumes - especially seeing as most apps/devices don't have any intelligence when it comes to receiving volume cc so that if you if you're trying to use one pedal/knob to control multiple tracks it's physical position won't match the virtual knoob/fader and you get those really nasty jumps in volume. Horrid! And makes using them live a bit of a no-no for me - you end up needing one knob per function meaning a huge control surface.

I have seem some intelligent methods whereby when you move the physical fader/knob it has to reach it's current (virtual) position first before any changes become audible... this could be accompanied by a large transparent popup arrow(s) that would magically appear in front of the screen to tell you to increase (or decrease) the knob/fader to reach the current value before it gracefully disappears when you get there and the knob/fader becomes active
  • edited March 2017
    This is what
    Maybe making each group a different midi channel? Or almost numbering the fx by channel (FX1 Group1;FX2 Group1// FXn Groupn... FX1 GroupMain;FX2 GroupMain;FX3 GroupMain.

It will be consistent with the Ableton export idea... AUM works in this way and gives you an idea to how to implement the menu and midi learn. :)

Yes it will have to be something like that. The problem at the moment is that MID bindings are global, i.e. do not change between sessions and it is likely that effect configurations will vary between sessions.

I have a plan, see what you think when the beta comes out.
  • edited March 2017
    Looks great! :smiley: I can't think of any extras off the top of my head.

It like the way you have the "Step tempo" function so you can increase (or decrease I presume) the tempo by a set amount.

I've often wished that many other apps had a similar step function assignable to volume - so that you can use a switch rather than an expression pedal / knob to change volumes - especially seeing as most apps/devices don't have any intelligence when it comes to receiving volume cc so that if you if you're trying to use one pedal/knob to control multiple tracks it's physical position won't match the virtual knoob/fader and you get those really nasty jumps in volume. Horrid! And makes using them live a bit of a no-no for me - you end up needing one knob per function meaning a huge control surface.

Thanks @ricksteruk, you might be able to achieve a volume step with the 'Fade' MIDI function. Basically you will be able to set the volume 'end value' and the duration of the fade. The loop or group you are fading will begin from it's current position and fade to the defined 'end value'. If you wanted to switch volumes instantly then you could set the 'fade duration' to be really quick.

I have seem some intelligent methods whereby when you move the physical fader/knob it has to reach it's current (virtual) position first before any changes become audible... this could be accompanied by a large transparent popup arrow(s) that would magically appear in front of the screen to tell you to increase (or decrease) the knob/fader to reach the current value before it gracefully disappears when you get there and the knob/fader becomes active

Good point, I hadn't thought of this. There could be an option to set the volume binding to 'pickup' from the current value so you don't get any volume jumps. Like you said though it would ideally need some visual feedback.
  • @Jack you are awesome, dude!
  • This list is an embarrassment of riches.
  • Any chance you are working on tempo assign for groups? Fiddling with tempo via midi buttons in live setting is a drag. If each group had a tempo setting, it'd make tempo changes a snap!
  • Any chance you are working on tempo assign for groups? Fiddling with tempo via midi buttons in live setting is a drag. If each group had a tempo setting, it'd make tempo changes a snap!

It's on the cards, not in the next update but I'd like to see it soon. It's technically possible already, just need to make it accessible to users. This involves creating the UI elements which is a fairly time consuming process. It will happen!
  • edited March 2017
    @Jack wrote:
    It's on the cards, not in the next update but I'd like to see it soon. It's technically possible already, just need to make it accessible to users. This involves creating the UI elements which is a fairly time consuming process. It will happen!

Cool, glad to hear it may be out there on the horizon.
  • Its fantastic that there's now a REDO MIDI mapping option. But for those times when one is not using any pedals - is there any chance a REDO button could be added in the area next to OVERDUB ( or something ) ?

Also the feature to UNDO by slide-dragging a recorded loop to the left seems to be a bit intermittent. I'm never quite sure when i can do it.
  • edited April 2018
    Good point, currently nothing happens if you drag left when there are no overdub layers to remove. I realise this can be a bit confusing. I could add a delete option when the last layer is reached. The down side is you won’t be able to swipe/navigate through groups as easily. You would have to drag in an empty space, not on a loop, to pan the view left/right. Maybe this is what you do anyway?

Not sure I can fit anymore buttons in the ‘overdub, mute, solo’ view. You can Redo by swiping right though.
  • Iv'e just come across a MIDI Binding scenario - that although not a bug - is a little hassle.

I have a MIDI binding setup which lets me record/play loops on just tracks 1 and 2. and JUST on Groups 1 and 2. I do not need or want to record on the MASTER group.

I am using just a IK BlueBoard so have 2 stomps for selecting which track to record on and 2 for the group ( 1 or 2 ).

Trouble is - when one fires up GTL the default selected group is always MASTER. This means that one has to press one of the group stomps to select gap 1 o2 2.

Now this can be done but its a pain.

Could you add an option in the MIDI binding page that selects a particular group on default when 1 ) Launching the app, 2 ) whenever one has cleared entirely a session via the dustbin icon - ready to start a new one ?

These little things matter.

• I also accept that I could configure the binding so stomp 1 records specifically on Group 1 and track 1, stomp2 group1 track 2, stomp 3 group 2 trk1 and stomp 4 group 2 track 2.

But the trouble is I can see a scenario where in future stomps 3 and 4 become NEXT GROUP and PREVIOUS GROUP or something. So I'd prefer just to have the peace of mind that when I begin a new session the correct group is highlighted - ready to go.

• Hi @nonchai, I presume you are using the version 1.4 beta? You could assign, 'Select Group 1' to the same midi command as 'Reset Session'. Then every time you reset the session with your pedal, group 1 would be selected as well.

• good idea - trouble is I only have four pedals so can't see a way to do that since i'm using all 4 for other things. ( and am a little worried that i might accidentally reset a session by mistakenly holding down a pedal or something.

• Ah that’s a shame, maybe we could have a menu where you could set default options for new and reset sessions? It’s probably not something I could do immediately but definitely for the future.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file