Skip to content

Record both guitar and mic simultaneously into separate loops?

Hey there

I still have not successfully managed to loop both guitar and mic, but the necessary gear is on the way (zoom u-44 and cck).

But I‘m already wondering whether it is possible to record both guitar and mic simultaneously into separate loops?

Thank you.
Joshua

Comments

• @josh said:
    Hey there

I still have not successfully managed to loop both guitar and mic, but the necessary gear is on the way (zoom u-44 and cck).

Let me know how you get on, just ask if you have any questions.

But I‘m already wondering whether it is possible to record both guitar and mic simultaneously into separate loops?

Not at the moment I’m afraid, it would be nice to add this in the future. The best approach at the moment is to mix the instruments before GTL.

• thank you! it would be very useful to be able to assign the different inputs directly in GTL to loops (one input or several of them), and then to be able to record simultaneously. :)
  • this would also allow to record the same loop into different groups for later use (instead of duplicating them).
  • @josh said:
    this would also allow to record the same loop into different groups for later use (instead of duplicating them).

True, we would also need to allow for simaltaniuos loop recording. One day....

• today i finally got all the gear needed to plug in both my guitar and microphone! yay!! :)

i already figured out a possible workaround for recording both of them simultaneously into „separate“ loops:

it seems that when i record both of my inputs (using stereo link input 1+2) that input 1 is recorded on the left and 2 on the right side. knowing that i can duplicate the loop, then pan 1 to the very left and the other to the very right.

not perfect, but might be handy sometimes.
  • Glad you've got that working!

Yes you're right it does mean that each of the 4 loops can be though of as 2 separate mono loops in itself.

So if you always use the Stereo link input to GTL and feed GTL from Audiobus 3 or AUM then you will always be able to record both. If you only want to loop Channel 1 you just need to mute the input to GTL from Ch2 in Audiobus / AUM and vice versa.

I'll have a look and see what I can set up just in Audiobus 3

• Thank you, ricksteruk.

I wonder how you mute and unmute the channels in Audiobus?

I have written about my wish to change between different inputs exactly between end of recording loop 1 and beginning of recording loop 2, and that I feel that this option should allow CUEing in GTL (see http://forum.grouptheloop.com/index.php?p=/discussion/253/apply-cue-option-to-input-change#latest).

Maybe you got a solution for this using Audiobus?
  • Hi Josh,

With Audiobus 3 you can assign Midi bindings to the mixer controls - that would be how to switch between them - though I can’t think how to switch at the end of the loop.

What exactly are you wanting to do.? Are you singing and playing at the same time and sometimes looping the guitar, sometimes looping the voice, and sometimes looping both?

If you were only ever looping either guitar or voice you could assign them both to the same midi binding note/cc and then set one in Audiobus to MUtE the other Unmuted. Then when you press the MIDi trigger it will switch between them.

If you want a more complex switching system I think you will need to use AUM as it allows much more control for specifying how the MIDI cc values affect the result. I think the only downside is that it seems only one MIdI biding can be set for each Control - whereas in Audiobus you can set multiple.

The most complete setup would be a midi controller that can send multiple midi cc / notes on one button press with AUM set up to respond to what you want to do.

The whole system can get quite fiddly depending on your needs.