Skip to content

Minimum nr of MIDI Controller stomp pedals needed for minimal pedal-ballet with GTL

bearing in mind all the upcoming MIDI assignment stuff - will 6 stomps really cut it for GTL ?

The Morningstar is great - but if 6 isn't enough i might just stay with my Keith Mc Millen 12 step.

And what are peoples preferred choice of assignments for those 6 stomps ?

Or If you have less - say 4 ?

Comments

• edited March 2017
    Hi @nonchai!

It depends on how you are going to use GTL...
    If I will use it as pure looper machine the my bet for 6 pedals will be something like:
    1- Record
    2- Select slot1
    5- Select slot4
    6- Play/stop (all)

And will take a lot of care about loops in Main section.

Since I saw GTL more a Loop player for backing tracks with 6 pedals I will set:
    1- Play (all)
    2- Play Song part1
    5- Play Song part4
    6- Load next Song.

If 4 then goto for less slots/song parts. :smiley:

But since I have a midified Roland fc100mk2 which has 8 pedals plus A/B group...

I can set booth for when I want to go bizarre and add layers and madness to my boring songs :____V
  • I think my Behringer FCB1010 will come in handy! I agree the Morningstar looks fab - but I think that just 6 buttons would be limiting.

I can't remember.. does GTL recognise long press/hold like Loopy does? hope so!

Bottom Row
    1. Rec/Overdub on selected loop - (hold undo recording)
    2. select Next Loop (in current group)
    3. Select and play Group 1 - (hold select and don't play)
    4. Select and play Group 2 - (hold select and don't play)
    5. Select and play Group 3 - (hold select and don't play)

Top Row
    6. Mute selected loop - (hold clear loop)
    7. select Prev Loop (in current group)
    8. ?? Maybe select next group (or Master group maybe)
    9. ?? Maybe Toggle Cue, (hold toggle Ableton Link?)
    10. Play all / Stop all (Hold - Fade out)

Exp Pedal 1 - Volume of currently selected Loop.
    Exp Pedal 2 - FX1 Parameter of currently selected Loop

Good thing with the FCB is that I could set up the other banks to do things like - load songs, or adjust tempo
  • @ricksteruk, yes GTL can do hold commands.

Thanks for sharing your setup with us, very helpful. You reminded me of a few things I'd forgotten to add. E.g. 2. 'select Next Loop (in current group)' and 'undo', 'redo'.
  • Thanks for listening @Jack :)

I forgot to mention above - it would be awesome if my buttons 3,4,5 "Select and play Group X and play" could be worded so that it was 'Select Group X and play - unless the group is empty in which case record in first loop"
  • edited March 2017
    Thanks for listening @Jack :)

I forgot to mention above - it would be awesome if my buttons 3,4,5 "Select and play Group X and play" could be worded so that it was 'Select Group X and play - unless the group is empty in which case record in first loop"

So there won't be a single binding for 'Select and Play Group X'. You will however be able to combine functions such as 'Select Group X' and 'Play Group X' and assign them to one MIDI command.

As for recording to the group if it is empty, I don't think this will be possible within the same binding so you might have to assign this to a different foot pedal or even as a hold command.

Check out the screen shot of the new configuration page below. Notice the "Functions" section where you can add multiple functions to one binding. Some functions have options which will appear below when tapped. In the screenshot you can see that the 'Group:' option is set to Group 1.
    GTLMIDIBIndingsConfigViewSelectAndPlay.png
  • edited March 2017
    Also FYI, here's the main page displaying your active bindings: The circle/bullet point to the left of each binding will flash green when the assigned MIDI command is triggered. This makes it easy for you to test your setup before you try it for real. GTLMIDIActiveBIndingsPage.png

And the Set Manager Page, where you can save and load MIDI Binding sets:
    GTLMIDIBindingsSetManagerPage.png
  • edited March 2017
    Audiobus 3 is around the corner so... will GTL update arrive soon too? :smiley:
  • Audiobus 3 is around the corner so... will GTL update arrive soon too? :smiley:
    I hope so, still need to tweak a few things. As for AB3, I don't have access to the SDK yet but as soon as I do I'll make sure GTL is compatible.
  • Screen shots look great, Jack. Nice to see the progress you are making...
  • Screen shots look great, Jack. Nice to see the progress you are making...
    Cheers, it's coming along!
  • It's looking great Jack :) Thanks for the screenshots.

I really like the way you can set multiple functions to one MIDI message! Looks like there will be plenty of flexibility to set up many configurations.

PS. I'm really hoping for the iPhone version too.
  • It's looking great Jack :) Thanks for the screenshots.

I really like the way you can set multiple functions to one MIDI message! Looks like there will be plenty of flexibility to set up many configurations.

PS. I'm really hoping for the iPhone version too.
    I know, just wish I had a team of people to get it all done sooner. Just me afraid.
  • If it were written in JUCE *i'd* join you !
  • edited March 2017
    @dubbylabby -
    re <"Since I saw GTL more a Loop player for backing tracks with 6 pedals">

Not to take you away from GTL - but if you need advanced control over backing track playback have you tried
    OneTrack ?
    if I was going to play against backing tracks i'd probs go that route. Has lots of features specifically for actual backing tracks
  • I saw it looking for backing tracks dedicated apps but not look deep into it. I will recheck it.
    Anyways I love GTL approach of song structure/control :)
  • @nonchai bit OT but...
    I found this:

http://www.loopcommunity.com/prime

It's nearly perfect but the need for cloud syncing and the loopcomminity background makes it less attractive than standalone arranger. I will love if them open it a bit more with dedicated song editor and obviously make it one-time purchase instead licensing or IAP.

• Ooh - interesting . will check out.