Skip to content

ModStep+GTL - nice !

FYI i tried GTL inside Modstep recently - didn't think it would work - but it did.

The combination of ModStep and GTL is awesome - more so once the MS team refine their slightly clunky GUI.

I'm focusing much more now on ModStep than Gadget - EVEN now it has that audio stuff.

And definitely not buying the OSX version.

Comments

• I am hearing a lot of good things about Modstep, I ought to check it out.
  • edited April 2017
    I drop modstep time ago and I'm not planning to get back. To be honest these apps (modstep, AB, loopy...) were great in the past but nowadays I find other apps more pleasant than Ableton copycating as is. GTL has implemented some of the best concepts of Ableton but still has its own soul, modstep seemed a "want but can't" with ugly interface and lots of menus... as every day goes I prefer things the most simple and lightweight as possible then change my workflow to be productive instead wait for perfect app coming.

Jm2c
  • Hmm - I guess I will have to see Modstep for myself!

I really like GTL - it's layout and concept is pretty spot on. (Good job Jack :wink: ) - and with the next update and expanded MIDI bindings it will totally fulfil my own personal audio looping needs.

All I'd really like to be able to do in addition is add some MIDI loops (ideally within GTL) - so that I can quantise my dodgy timing... Nothing is worse than out of time loops.. MIDI loops with auto quantise are a fail safe... great for adding drums etc.

I am having a lot of fun playing synths with MIDI guitar 2 - it gives me so many more sounds available than just the basic guitar tones.

I guess I could just record the live audio from synth apps into GTL and loop them as audio rather than as MIDI? Audiobus or AUM could probably sort the routing for me.
  • edited April 2017
    Hmm - I guess I will have to see Modstep for myself!

I really like GTL - it's layout and concept is pretty spot on. (Good job Jack :wink: ) - and with the next update and expanded MIDI bindings it will totally fulfil my own personal audio looping needs.

All I'd really like to be able to do in addition is add some MIDI loops (ideally within GTL) - so that I can quantise my dodgy timing... Nothing is worse than out of time loops.. MIDI loops with auto quantise are a fail safe... great for adding drums etc.

I am having a lot of fun playing synths with MIDI guitar 2 - it gives me so many more sounds available than just the basic guitar tones.

I guess I could just record the live audio from synth apps into GTL and loop them as audio rather than as MIDI? Audiobus or AUM could probably sort the routing for me.

Great to hear @ricksteruk!

Not sure we'll see MIDI loops for GTL in the near future but i'd really like to incorporate some sort of quantise for audio clips into the sample editor when it appears. So you can drag transients in time after recording.
  • Aha - dragging transients in time seems like a good thing :smile:

Other than that I am a little perplexed as to what place a sample editor has inside GTL.. Isn't the basic idea of GTL as a live looping performance tool so that within each group the loops are either the same length or multiples of bars so that they play together in time as a group....

so editing a sample (in the normal way like you would in a DAW) wouldn't be very useful as it will put everything out of time in the group. I suppose a sample edit trim function might be useful for the first sample you make before you add other loops.

- or are you planning that the whole group be edited at the same time (like when you create an edit group within Logic so you can edit multi track drums easily?)
  • edited April 2017
    Aha - dragging transients in time seems like a good thing :smile:

Other than that I am a little perplexed as to what place a sample editor has inside GTL.. Isn't the basic idea of GTL as a live looping performance tool so that within each group the loops are either the same length or multiples of bars so that they play together in time as a group....

so editing a sample (in the normal way like you would in a DAW) wouldn't be very useful as it will put everything out of time in the group. I suppose a sample edit trim function might be useful for the first sample you make before you add other loops.

Yeh i suppose the sample editor would be most useful to trim and adjust the timing of the the first loop. It will also be the place where you can add simple processing effects such as reverse and pitch/time stretching to loops.
    - or are you planning that the whole group be edited at the same time (like when you create an edit group within Logic so you can edit multi track drums easily?)
    No but that's a great idea, I'm always using this feature in logic.
  • <i suppose the sample editor would be most useful to trim and adjust the timing of the the first loop. >

but it needs to be foot-stomp friendly and simple so the timing can be adjusted quick and with minimum of fuss in a live situation. I don't see any need to go all the way with tons of editing thats better suited to a DAW.

Just to be able to say - nudge the beginning ( and end point ) back or forward would be great. or better still use some good transient detector to do it better and easier.

PS that new Retronyms looper claims to do "Scenes" as in Ableton or GTL fashion.... but it actually doesnt.
  • Interesting @nonchai

I'd not checked out the LooperVerse app - and having watched a few videos of it I can see how editing loops could be made to work in GTL - if there were some "handlebars" or something like that added at the top of a loop that would define how long that loop should be (number of bars / snap to grid / free options ) then within that handlebar the loop could be split into regions and dragged around / time-streched or whatever.

Seems like a lot of work for Jack though!

It's kind of a hard line to decide where the feature set of a Looper app ends and where a DAW begins. I used to use the POLAR (Performance Oriented Loop Recorder) in my Digital Performer DAW many years ago for live looping performances.. It was pretty good - but used to keep crashing my MacBook pro during gigs. :neutral: