Skip to content

Connecting an audio interface for instruments and a pedal: Will it work?

Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum; I hope this is the right category to post these questions.

I am intending to use the app with my Zoom UAC-2 sound interface with a dynamic mic (Sontronic Solo) as well as an electric guitar connected to the interface.

It appears that I will need the external power adapter of Zoom UAC-2 and the Lightning to USB adapter for using the sound interface with iPad (via Class Compliant Mode). I have ordered both of these.

I have the following 3 questions on mind:

1. With the sound interface connected to iPad properly, will it be possible to use either of the 2 channels of the sound interface on Group the Loop for recording music? One channel will have the microphone connected and the other one the electric guitar.

2. If I want to get a foot pedal, can I include this into this configuration via the MIDI connection of my sound interface or should I rather get a pedal with Bluetooth connection instead?

3. Finally, do you have any suggestions for a foot pedal with iPad connectivity and silent switches? I am currently returning a Jamman Stereo since its switches are so loud and it makes it impossible to record anything via the microphone.

Thank you in advance for your time! Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Sinta

Comments

• edited June 2020

Hi @sinta_paro,

@sinta_paro said:
    1. With the sound interface connected to iPad properly, will it be possible to use either of the 2 channels of the sound interface on Group the Loop for recording music? One channel will have the microphone connected and the other one the electric guitar.

Yes you can select the input. GTL does not have an input mixer so you will have to switch between inputs 1 or 2 depending on which instrument you want to record. You can record in stereo so it is possible to record the guitar on the left channel and the vocal on the right. You can also use another app such as AudioBus or AUM to submit your instruments if you have a complicated setup.

1. If I want to get a foot pedal, can I include this into this configuration via the MIDI connection of my sound interface or should I rather get a pedal with Bluetooth connection instead?

Either, the zoom looks like it has MIDI in/out so a couple of MIDI cables into your pedal would work. GTL works with MIDI over bluetooth as well, just make sure your pedal is compatible with iOS.

1. Finally, do you have any suggestions for a foot pedal with iPad connectivity and silent switches? I am currently returning a Jamman Stereo since its switches are so loud and it makes it impossible to record anything via the microphone.

Hmm, not off hand. I have the Behringer FCB1010 which is great but pretty noisy! Anyone?

• Hi @Jack,

Great news, thank you so much! Very glad to know that this setup will work.

As you have mentioned, Zoom UAC-2 does have MIDI connectivity, so I can go with a MIDI or Bluetooth pedal then.

So far I have come across Air Turn Ped Pro, which features pressure-triggered pedals and BT 4.1 connection. This could be a silent solution, yet I have concerns if the BT connection would cause any delay issues. I would appreciate any further silent pedal suggestions.
  • edited June 2020

@sinta_paro said:
    Hi @Jack,

Great news, thank you so much! Very glad to know that this setup will work.

As you have mentioned, Zoom UAC-2 does have MIDI connectivity, so I can go with a MIDI or Bluetooth pedal then.

So far I have come across Air Turn Ped Pro, which features pressure-triggered pedals and BT 4.1 connection. This could be a silent solution, yet I have concerns if the BT connection would cause any delay issues. I would appreciate any further silent pedal suggestions.

Glad to help. Unfortunately the AirTurn won't work as it's not a MIDI bluetooth controller. It sends out key commands rather than MIDI. Anything that advertises MIDI over Bluetooth for iOS should work fine.

There's very little latency sending MIDI over bluetooth. I use the Yamaha BT-01 adapter and I've never noticed any.

• > @Jack said:
    > @sinta_paro said:
    > Hi @Jack,
    >
    > Great news, thank you so much! Very glad to know that this setup will work.
    >
    > As you have mentioned, Zoom UAC-2 does have MIDI connectivity, so I can go with a MIDI or Bluetooth pedal then.
    >
    > So far I have come across Air Turn Ped Pro, which features pressure-triggered pedals and BT 4.1 connection. This could be a silent solution, yet I have concerns if the BT connection would cause any delay issues. I would appreciate any further silent pedal suggestions.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Glad to help. Unfortunately the AirTurn won't work as it's not a MIDI bluetooth controller. It sends out key commands rather than MIDI. Anything that advertises MIDI over Bluetooth for iOS should work fine.
    >
    > There's very little latency sending MIDI over bluetooth. I use the Yamaha BT-01 adapter and I've never noticed any.

I had no idea about such a distinction. So, then I need either a MIDI pedal with cable connection or a BT pedal with MIDI signaling capacity, right?
  • OK, so after looking around further, I have been considering iRig Blueboard.

I would appreciate if anyone who used Blueboard for looping on an iPad with a microphone could kindly confirm that pressing its switches will not cause any audible sounds to be captured by the microphone.
  • edited June 2020

The iRig Blueboard works great with GTL. Some people find that 4 pedals is not enough, certainly ample for a simple looping setup.

I don't own a Blueboard so I can't vouch for it's noise. Might be worth asking on the AudioBus forum, it gets a lot more traffic.

• Thank you once again @Jack !

• You probable already have your pedal board but I wanted to add that I have a Nektar Pacer that works great with iPad and GTL. It is MIDI over USB so you can go right in to your powered hub into the iPad. Right now I am using a Focusrite 2i2 for an interface and the Pacer to control GTL. Works good and is silent. So sorry for the late reply. Just starting to really learn GTL and well, I am just an old slow guy. Slim

• Hi. I’m new here. Discovered GTL recently and I love it.
    I am using an AirTurn Duo BT-200 Bluetooth MIDI capable foot pedal. Has momentary and hold functions which GTL allows in the MIDI setup. Works great. Just make sure you download the instruction manual from the AirTurn website. There is one more step after you pair it to your device to get it into MIDI mode. It only allows for four commands, which you choose, but I am good with that. They make one that is twice as many pedals (AirTurn Quad BT-200). I picked it up for $99 at my local Guitar Center. Hope this was helpful.
  • I’ll add that the AirTurn Duo BT-200 is silent, is advertised as such, and a full battery charge lasts for 150-200 hours of usage.