Skip to content

Are AUv3 effects applied while recording, or while playing a loop?

i noticed that GTL‘s own filters and effects are applied to a loop while playing it. this makes sense, as they are only applicable after the loop was already recorded. it has the side effect though that when merging two loops, only the target loop‘s filters and effects remain, while the merged one‘s are lost.

what about AUv3? how does it work there (i still can’t check it out myself due to ios<11). as i seem to be able to apply AUv3 already before recording a loop, i wonder wherher the filter/effect is applied directly to the recorded signal, or whether only the „dry“ signal is recorded and the effect is applied over it as long as it’s being played?

this is also a performance issue: imagine i have a dozen loops playing, each with a tonebridge effect and a filter on it - this would need quite some horse power to apply all of them in real-time. it would mean i‘d need to get a much better ipad to have some headroom left.

in logic pro, there is an option to „freeze“ a track, which means rendering it to safe performance. if it should be changed again, it can be unfreezed. maybe something like that would be a cool thing?

how’s it in GTL?

Comments

• Hi @josh, yes a freeze option would be a nice addition and I’ve thought about adding it.

Really the best and lightest way to add effects to loops is to add them to the input stream. You can find this in the settings under audio input. Any effects you add here will be recorded to the loop. This also means that when you merge loops they will retain their effects.

AUv3 effects work exactly the same as the internal effects.
  • thanks jack.

adding effects to the input stream is not really an option because i wanna have different effects for different loops, and i think it’s not viable to change the effects on the fly during a live performance. then i‘d rather use audiobus again, as it makes switching between presets easier.

a freeze option would be perfect though. :)