Skip to content

Group the Loop 2 is out (About time!)

edited October 2019 in News

Hey folks,

GTL 2 is finally out on the AppStore: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/group-the-loop/id1029416579?mt=8

Thank you all for your support and hard work beta testing!

Here's the new site: https://grouptheloop.com

And a new demo video: https://youtube.com/watch?v=wm_MZPbV1y8

Just post here or email me if you have any questions/feedback.

Cheers!

Comments

• Congrats!!!

• Nice work @Jack ! Can’t wait to dive in.

• edited October 2019

Hi all, sorry that my first post is a negative one, but as a 2.0 update (after a year) this to me is Very disappointing.
    I would have gladly payed for a more feature packed 2.0.
    But we get only some minor GUI changes, and to me, the few extra features are not building further on the loop app as it is, but are more to the 'transform this into a daw-app', in my humble opinion.
    Not one new feature that makes me even a little excited, that is directed at performing (loops) in a more creative way. This should have been more like the 1.42 update in my book.

sorry guys, but it feels like something is taken away from me: the hope of the perfect loop app...

All power to the people that can use this app for their uses, and also to the develloper i hope the app will sell a lot.

• edited October 2019

@teknoid said:
    Hi all, sorry that my first post is a negative one, but as a 2.0 update (after a year) this to me is Very disappointing.
    Only some minor GUI changes, and to me, the extra features are not building further on the loop app as it is, but are more to the 'transform this into a daw-app', in my humble opinion.
    Not one new feature that makes me even a little excited, that is directed at performing loops in a more creative way. This should have been more like the 1.42 update in my book.

sorry guys, but it feels like something is taken away from me: the hope of the perfect loop app...

All power to the people that can use this app for their uses, and also to the develloper i hope the app will sell a lot.

Hey @teknoid, thanks for the feedback. Sorry you are disappointed with the update. Feel free to post any ideas you have here, I’m always keen to improve GTL.

It can take a long time to develop new features for apps especially for me being a one man team. It’s taken me over a year working primarily on GTL to develop and bug crunch this update. To make GTL work on an iPhone I had to completely overhaul the audio engine and UI layout. It has lead to some major improvements internally such as 32 bit audio processing and a dynamic layout for spilt view etc. So although it does not seem like much has changed on the surface, a lot of the core functionality has been improved which I hope will make for a better experience for all users.

• BenBen
    edited October 2019

@Jack. I’m getting crashing on any added effects and playback of groups or single loops are “stuttering” for lack of better descriptive. Really distorted.
    I’ve checked several sessions and they are all doing it.
    Wasn’t like that when I first opened GTL. It started about 20 minutes in. No other apps running.
    On on an iPad Pro 11 2018. ios 12.3.1

Apologies. Looks like I found part of the problem. Buffer size was set at some ridiculously high number that isn’t even listed in settings. Set it to 256 and things improved dramatically.
    I was also able to load one AU effect without a crash.
    Sorry for the knee jerk reaction.
    Still hearing some artifacts when switching groups but I’m going to try and ferret it out before I bother you with it.
    Great update. Love the measure markers among many other things.

• edited October 2019
    > @Ben said:
    > @Jack. I’m getting crashing on any added effects and playback of groups or single loops are “stuttering” for lack of better descriptive. Really distorted.
    > I’ve checked several sessions and they are all doing it.
    > Wasn’t like that when I first opened GTL. It started about 20 minutes in. No other apps running.
    > On on an iPad Pro 11 2018. ios 12.3.1
    >
    > Apologies. Looks like I found part of the problem. Buffer size was set at some ridiculously high number that isn’t even listed in settings. Set it to 256 and things improved dramatically.
    > I was also able to load one AU effect without a crash.
    > Sorry for the knee jerk reaction.
    > Still hearing some artifacts when switching groups but I’m going to try and ferret it out before I bother you with it.
    > Great update. Love the measure markers among many other things.

Hey @ben, oh darn. Something isn’t right there. I’m aware of a similar issue which occurs if you host GTL via IAA and change the sample rate in the host mid session. Does this sound like it could be the issue?

Usually a good reset of every app and memory reset fixes these things.
  • > @teknoid said:
    > Hi all, sorry that my first post is a negative one, but as a 2.0 update (after a year) this to me is Very disappointing.
    > I would have gladly payed for a more feature packed 2.0.
    > But we get only some minor GUI changes, and to me, the few extra features are not building further on the loop app as it is, but are more to the 'transform this into a daw-app', in my humble opinion.
    > Not one new feature that makes me even a little excited, that is directed at performing (loops) in a more creative way. This should have been more like the 1.42 update in my book.
    >
    > sorry guys, but it feels like something is taken away from me: the hope of the perfect loop app...
    >
    > All power to the people that can use this app for their uses, and also to the develloper i hope the app will sell a lot.

Define your _creative way_ first instead waste a comment with just _I don’t like_ comment...
    Check the topic at AudioBus forums and how users seems finding creative new options due the update and few are _daw oriented_ precisely these are more _dawless and modular_ than average user.

OTOH this is a free update so what money you lost? Any feature lost in the process? Mmmm very egocentric approach and zero constructive... Are you a child? Just open a topic with yout ideas and let’s users make their point, start a poll, etc... then if things don’t evolve on your path rant if you want but take a look about how many ideas had been proposed (and the way they were exposed) and how some get implemented even in better way than one could imagine (and supporting wider user spectrum) due @Jack amazing work and efforts.

Sorry if I sound _salty_ but there is no better looper app ATM on the store. Loopy needs AB3 to be close and extra app like Midi designer or AB remote to make it straightforward so side to side GTL vs any looper (alone) out there blows every single one out of the water and now (aside free update) it’s on sale!

C’mon...
  • WHAT A DAY OF GREAT, GREAT JOY!!!

Wow, more than a half year ago, I stumbled over GTL on my travels through New Zealand and Australia. Back then, I was busking on the streets, and I had only a dirty old iPad2 with iOS9, but surprisingly GTL worked pretty well on it. After some time I realised though that advanced usage of GTL was very limited, because Audio Units are not supported by iOS9, so I couldn't use Tonebridge effects or other cool stuff.

During the last half year, I checked the GTL website regularly, knowing that an iPhone version is in the pipeline, and as I'm having an iPhone5S (which is still supporting the latest iOS, and as such also Audio Units, etc.), I hoped to find the iPhone version of GTL to be released soon.

Yesterday, after a remarkable enlightening weekend where I decided to invest more energy into my creative passions again (for this I finally cancelled my "love-hated" Netflix account), I was very close to buying a newer iPad (still a second hand one, as I'm kind of a nature-loving, tree-hugging eco-hippy), so I could finally use GTL's advanced features. And tadaaah - after checking the GTL website, I finally found the iPhone version released! How wonderful! And it's even a free update - to be honest, I didn't expect it to be one! <3 Thank you so much, @Jack and @dubbylubby!

I'm currently in the process of backing up my iPhone data, so I can erase it and reinstall iOS (as it's only having 16GB, I need to do this every now and then, haha... I'm such a hippy).

I'm looking forward to digging into GTL again, and I'm happy to give more feedback soon.

Much love and creativity to all of you!
    Joshua

• Enjoy the journey mate!!!
    :wink: