Skip to content

Tempo Change between groups?

Is it possible to have separate groups that have different tempos (not the master group) and change back and forth between groups and maintain those different tempos? If so, how would this be done?

I couldn’t find by searching. This is my first post as I’m a new user.

Thanks...

-Steve

Comments

• edited December 2019

Hi Steve,

Yes, you will find an option called 'Unique Tempo' in the group's options menu. That's the (...) button next to each group. Turn on the unique tempo button and set the desired tempo. When the group is played the session tempo will change to the group's unique tempo and remain at that speed until a new tempo is set. If you want to switch back and forth between two groups with different tempos make sure you set a unique tempo for both groups. Also any loops you have in the master group will change playback speed to keep in time.

Another way is to use 'Manual Tempo' recording. To do this make sure all timing features (i.g metronome, drummer count in and CUE and Ableton Link) are turned off. Then, from a blank and stopped session, record to group 1. This first loop will set the tempo of the session. Then record to group 2, this loop will set the tempo of group 2. GTL will automatically detect two different tempos and set the unique tempo values for each group accordingly. Note that the latter will only work if the master group is empty.

Hope this helps :)

• Awesome...Thank you Jack!