Skip to content

Loosing saved loops when reinstalling

Hi,
GTL wouldn’t open for me this morning, so I deleted and reinstalled it. I got the warning that saved content would be lost. The last thing I’d done wasn’t up to much so I went ahead. The second after I thought I hope that didn’t mean the loops I had saved.
I was able to open the app after reinstalling, but my saved sessions/loops were gone. Damn. I hoped maybe I’d find them in the files folder but no luck.
This seems rather unfortunate. Any info on why this happened? Will deleting and reinstalling always delete my files?

Comments

• I've just noticed I've lost all my midi and key bindings also. This is a bit disturbing. I have a couple of sets of midi bindings, now there are none.

Could this be something to do with iOS updates? My iPad was going to update last night. It didn't. This morning I manually updated AUM as their had been some good changes. GTL wouldn't launch within AUM so I tried to launch it outside of AUM. Still no luck so wondered if I'd better to the iOS update. Did that and it still wouldn't launch to deleted it and reinstalled.

That's when I saw my saved loops were gone and now I see my midi control settings are gone too.

• Response here is normally pretty quick so I'm guessing this hasn't been seen?

• edited May 2020

summoning @Jack is the most easy but also send him a mail (click the word)

• edited May 2020
    Hi, sorry I’ve only just seen this.

Ah damn that’s a shame you’ve lost those loops! Have you ever backed your device up to iTunes or iCloud?

So unfortunately when you delete an app you delete all its data too. That includes all of GTL’s audio, midi and key binding data. There’s nothing I can do about this as it’s an IOS thing. In the future I’d recommend exporting all your GTL session’s before deleting the app. The easiest way to do this is with iTunes file sharing on a computer and drag them out to your desktop.

Not sure why GTL didn’t launch for you. Did it crash or just hang?
  • I don't have any backups currently, iCloud was full. It's not a big deal, at least I understand a few more of the many quirks of iOS now.

It did the thing of showing the launch screen for a second then vanishing... so didn't even launch.

I'm having a few more issues though, I've been setting up my midi control settings though, and testing them out I'm finding few quirks:

1/ The dialogue to allow GTL to set the tempo seems to be gone, and I can't find the option in the clock settings were I think it used to be.

2/ I can't seem to set the number of bars for my initial loop. the clock multiplier buttons were showing divide and multiply, but I wanted minus and plus. When I changed them to that in the clock settings, they greyed out and were inoperable. I changed them back, but they were still greyed out.

So the upshot of that is I can't seem to get GTL to set the tempo based on my first loop, with a pre-selected number of bars. I seemed to be able to do this reliably before, and I'm not sure whether I've forgotten some crucial thing (I don't think so) or whether something has broken.

And I'll @Jack this for good measure!

• edited May 2020

@SimonSomeone said:
    I don't have any backups currently, iCloud was full. It's not a big deal, at least I understand a few more of the many quirks of iOS now.

It did the thing of showing the launch screen for a second then vanishing... so didn't even launch.

I'm having a few more issues though, I've been setting up my midi control settings though, and testing them out I'm finding few quirks:

1/ The dialogue to allow GTL to set the tempo seems to be gone, and I can't find the option in the clock settings were I think it used to be.

2/ I can't seem to set the number of bars for my initial loop. the clock multiplier buttons were showing divide and multiply, but I wanted minus and plus. When I changed them to that in the clock settings, they greyed out and were inoperable. I changed them back, but they were still greyed out.

So the upshot of that is I can't seem to get GTL to set the tempo based on my first loop, with a pre-selected number of bars. I seemed to be able to do this reliably before, and I'm not sure whether I've forgotten some crucial thing (I don't think so) or whether something has broken.

And I'll @Jack this for good measure!

Hmm strange, does it display "Instant Recording" in the clock dialogue view or does it say "Manual Tempo"?

I wonder wether you have a loop still active in one of the slots, possibly in the master group or off screen somewhere. If a loop exists in an active group or the master group then GTL wont let you manually set the tempo.

Another thought, are you using Ableton Link? If any Link apps are connected then GTL will follow the Link session tempo and again not let you set it manually with your first loop.

If the above fails then try starting a new session and see if that helps?

• hi @Jack

Just "instant recording" There's no active loop.

Re Ableton Link, I am using that with the new feature you came up with, of allowing GTL to communicate the tempo to other apps. That was through Ableton Link wasn't it? with that feature up until now I've been able to set the tempo by playing a loop in GTL - usually setting the the number of bars first - then later starting Soft Drummer or another app and having follow the tempo as set initially by GTL. All apps are hosted in AUM.

I have a link to a video of what I'm seeing. Notably, I can't see that option I used to see which said something like "Allow GTL to set the tempo" or words to that effect. I'd usually see that when I opened the app. And it was also visible in the clock settings I'm pretty damn sure to turn on or off as it suited, but it's not there now.

Also another funny thing I haven't seen, but maybe this is irrelevant, when I press the multiply divid button, I see the time length of the loop, in small text in the clock window, changing. I've never noticed that before. I made a video, and I point to it. Also you'll see the loop multiplier buttons 'grey out'.

Hope this helps diagnose what's happening. In this video I opened AUM first, with nothing loaded in it. I've reset the session and restarted several times too. And I get the same result whether AUM is open or not.

thanks,
    Simon

• edited May 2020

Morning, @SimonSomeone, thanks for your time and help on this one.

This had me going for awhile but I think I know what's going on. The "Allow Manual Tempo" option is only available in the beta version of GTL at the moment. I had forgotten this myself! So you must have reinstalled GTL from the AppStore rather than TestFlight. Reinstalling v2.0.3 from TestFlight should get back the "Allow Manual Tempo" option for Ableton Link.

The message that pops up after loading a session concerning Ableton Link's tempo is actually a different thing. This is just asking you wether you want GTL to set the Link session tempo to that of your GTL session or if you want your GTL session to follow it and pitch/time-stretch accordingly. The "Allow Manual Tempo" option is slightly different because it allows you to use GTL's "Manual Tempo" mode to set the Ableton Link tempo. So it only really applies to the first loop you record.

Hope that sorts out your issue!

• Ah, that makes sense! Thanks for your help, I'll reinstall (saving my newly made midi settings somewhere first) and reinstall the beta version. Also thanks for that clarification of those 2 things. It's a bit lat for me to get my head round that right now, but I should be able to in the morning!

• Hi @Jack ,

I'm not sure how to back up my midi bindings before I reinstall the Beta. I have a GTL folder in Files, but it only has a couple of sessions in it. Will they include the midi bindings if i back them up? I'm not sure about that, as I know you can save multiple different binding sets. So I was thinking they would exist somewhere as files.
    Thanks,
    Simon

• Morning,

You can with a Mac app called iExplorer which lets you access GTL's library Files. They are stored in Group the Loop -> Library -> Binding Sets.

Actually you will not loose your data if you just install the beta from TestFlight. It's just like updating the app. Just make sure you don't delete GTL before.

We should have a way of backing up MIDI bindings, I'll look into it!