Skip to content

What midi commands (More in-depth question!) does GTL listen for?

@Jack

Hi, I'm using a footswitch successfully to send midi commands. However I'm also experimenting with using a sequencer in AUM to mimic these commands. I can set it up to send messages on the same channel and CC number. BUT... my pedal sends 2 values for my press - 127 on press, 0 on release, though I count it as one action conceptually.
I mimicked this, and got variable results, I think due to what the sequencer was sending. BUT...

I think GTL will respond to any ONE message, and it will just flip its state? If so, does that mean if 2 messages sent in quick succession (as on my footswitch) it ignores one of them? I've checked this with a mdi monitor, and GTL is triggered by one midi value sent from the sequencer, but it seems it can be any value, as long as it's the right CC and channel. Is that correct?

The issue I'm having (which is I think arising from the behavior of the sequencer) is that I don't get behave consistently behaviour. It is a clip launcher (Imaginade LK - Matrix); I draw in the values into the clip, then launch the clip when I want. Say I draw a value in at beat 3 of a 1 bar clip. The first time I launch the clip it sends that value at beat 1, at beat 3 and right at the end, so 3 times, leading GTL to record at beat one, play at beat 3, and start recording again at the end of the clip and not stop recording. But on subsequent launches of the clip it doesn't send the message at beat 1. Only at beat 3 and at the end. So GTL records where I wanted and plays at the end of the clip, which is more useful.

I will take this issue up with the developer, but I want to make sure I have a correct understanding of what GTL responds to. I think it responds to any midi message on the assigned CC, and just flip its state on the next message. And also that bit about ignoring the 2nd of 2 rapid presses?

Actually the other thing is I had tried to draw a short ramp in the sequencer between 2 values, thinking this would work like the footswitch. But it triggered GTL multiple times over the course of the ramp, which was something like an 1/8 or 1/16 note duration, so that has me confused a bit.

Any clearing up of the details on this would be appreciated, thanks!

Simon

Comments

• edited February 2021

It would be still good to know this, but I have come up with a better solution. As GTL responds to midi notes too, I'm just going to draw notes on the LK Matrix piano roll on channel 16, rather than try to draw fiddly automation curves! This is going to be a lot easier even visually, seeing all loops and groups laid out logically in notes and octaves etc.

This way I can set up a song timeline in LK, and all my loops will record and play exactly where and when I want with no footswitch dancing. That's the theory anyway..... And I can also insert pre-recorded midi tracks too if needed.

• edited February 2021

@SimonSomeone said:
    @Jack

Hi, I'm using a footswitch successfully to send midi commands. However I'm also experimenting with using a sequencer in AUM to mimic these commands. I can set it up to send messages on the same channel and CC number. BUT... my pedal sends 2 values for my press - 127 on press, 0 on release, though I count it as one action conceptually.
    I mimicked this, and got variable results, I think due to what the sequencer was sending. BUT...

I think GTL will respond to any ONE message, and it will just flip its state? If so, does that mean if 2 messages sent in quick succession (as on my footswitch) it ignores one of them? I've checked this with a mdi monitor, and GTL is triggered by one midi value sent from the sequencer, but it seems it can be any value, as long as it's the right CC and channel. Is that correct?

Yes that's correct it can be any value above 0. Usually CC value 0 will be ignored, some foot controllers send this as a 'note off' command and we don't want to trigger the MIDI function twice when this happens.

The issue I'm having (which is I think arising from the behavior of the sequencer) is that I don't get behave consistently behaviour. It is a clip launcher (Imaginade LK - Matrix); I draw in the values into the clip, then launch the clip when I want. Say I draw a value in at beat 3 of a 1 bar clip. The first time I launch the clip it sends that value at beat 1, at beat 3 and right at the end, so 3 times, leading GTL to record at beat one, play at beat 3, and start recording again at the end of the clip and not stop recording. But on subsequent launches of the clip it doesn't send the message at beat 1. Only at beat 3 and at the end. So GTL records where I wanted and plays at the end of the clip, which is more useful.

I will take this issue up with the developer, but I want to make sure I have a correct understanding of what GTL responds to. I think it responds to any midi message on the assigned CC, and just flip its state on the next message. And also that bit about ignoring the 2nd of 2 rapid presses?

That's correct, the Record/Overdub midi function will toggle between record, play and overdub depending on the loop's state. It should really be called "Record -> Play -> Overdub"

Not sure I understand about the 2 rapid presses. Is GTL ignoring one of them?

Actually the other thing is I had tried to draw a short ramp in the sequencer between 2 values, thinking this would work like the footswitch. But it triggered GTL multiple times over the course of the ramp, which was something like an 1/8 or 1/16 note duration, so that has me confused a bit.

Yes ramping the CC value will just trigger the command in GTL over and over again, every time the value changes in fact.

Any clearing up of the details on this would be appreciated, thanks!

Simon

Hope I've understood correctly.

• @jack thanks for that.

Sorry, the 'ignoring 2 rapid presses' bit was confusing. But you cleared up my confusion anyway by stating that the value 0 is ignored.

My footswitch was send 2 values, 127 and 0, on what I consider one action, pressing the switch. But the press is actually 2 closely spaced actions, a press and a release. So I was wondering why I only needed only one midi command in the sequencer. I was thinking that maybe it just ignores the 2nd message if it comes immediately after the first, as happens in a quick button press, but I see now that it just ignores the 0 value.

Thanks!