Skip to content

Recommendation for foot pedal/midi controller that works well with Group the Loop

Does anyone have a recommendation for foot pedal/midi controller that works well with Group the Loop?
Thanks!

Comments

• edited November 2016
    One option is the Behringer FCB1010, I use this, it's got loads of pedals and is fairly cheap. The advantage of having many pedals is that you can work in groups. e.g. pedals 1 - 4 can be assigned to loops 1 - 4 in the selected group. Then the remaining pedals can be assigned to select the group, change the clock multiplier etc.

Also there are many bluetooth controllers available. I've heard of users using the IK Multimedia Blueboard and the Postivegrid bt-4.

Theoretically, any wired or bluetooth MIDI controller that's compatible with CoreMIDI should work with GTL.

Anyone else have any suggestions? @robhellenius, @amarura, @trust.but.verify, @lukesleepwalker, @Louielgl, @owi, @munibeast, @anickt.
  • I have both the Blueboard and BT4, which both work just fine with GTL, but as Jack mentioned, more buttons would definitely be better. so... for this reason, an FCB1010 landed on my doorstep yesterday which will be connected via an iConnect Audio 4+ interface.
  • i have tested keith mcmillen softstep2 and 12step, roland fc 200 and fc300, diy midi footswitch made from korg nanopad2 via iconnect audio4+
  • I've just been trying to connect an Airturn Ped to GTL. Doesn't seem to work - I think it's because it doesn't do Bluetooth midi so GTL won't recognise it. Is there any hack to make it work?
  • edited April 2017
    ricksteruk wrote: »
    I've just been trying to connect an Airturn Ped to GTL. Doesn't seem to work - I think it's because it doesn't do Bluetooth midi so GTL won't recognise it. Is there any hack to make it work?

What it sends? Maybe some kind of translation throught lemur or similar?
  • edited April 2017
    dubbylabby wrote: »
    What it sends? Maybe some kind of translation throught lemur or similar?

It's got a "direct app" mode where it can supposedly talk directly to an iOS app (works OK with the ForScore app I'm using to display music pdfs) - or several basic modes that seems to emulate bluetooth keyboard presses - eg. up / down, left / right.

I've just been looking at the IK Blueboard and that pedal has a specific app that generates MIDI messages - there doesn't seem to be anything like that for AirTurn unfortunately. I might send back the AirTurn Ped and get a Blueboard.
  • It should be the faster solution for sure. Idk how difficult is to implement gameKit into musical app... @Jack ?

It could open interesting options handling fx with wireless remote controllers. Atm I handle these needs with touchOSC but it could be great support gaming devices like steelseries or similar.
  • I've just been trying to connect an Airturn Ped to GTL. Doesn't seem to work - I think it's because it doesn't do Bluetooth midi so GTL won't recognise it. Is there any hack to make it work?

As far as I can tell it doesn't look like the AirTurn Ped supports Bluetooth MIDI. Seams like it has its own system/protocol.

Does it work with any other music apps you have other than the score page turning ones?
  • It should be the faster solution for sure. Idk how difficult is to implement gameKit into musical app... @Jack ?

It could open interesting options handling fx with wireless remote controllers. Atm I handle these needs with touchOSC but it could be great support gaming devices like steelseries or similar.

It's a nice idea and I'm sure it's possible. It's not something i'll be considering right now unfortunately, maybe something for the future :)
  • edited April 2017
    Maybe asking to midiflow developer could be more productive for most people ;)

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/337138/#Comment_337138

In that way anyone could use midiflow as midi translator for HID devices :)
  • Maybe asking to midiflow developer could be more productive for most people ;)

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/337138/#Comment_337138

In that way anyone could use midiflow as midi translator for HID devices :)

Sounds like a good route to go, being able to translate HID input to MIDI messages would allow you to use your controllers on any MIDI enabled app.
  • @Jack Did you considered the chance to build dedicated hardware for GTL? Or porting it into embed platform (in addition to first not as the same question)?
  • edited April 2017
    I have, i suspect it would require quite a bit of capital to start manufacturing though. Also there are lots of capable foot pedals out there which can be configured for GTL. I'm thinking of adding some basic presets for some of the common MIDI foot pedals in the new MIDI bindings if I get time.
  • Yes I supose the ideal scenario could be a partnership with hardware brand like Helix or simila. Thanks for share your insights mate.
  • edited April 2017
    Jack wrote: »
    I've just been trying to connect an Airturn Ped to GTL. Doesn't seem to work - I think it's because it doesn't do Bluetooth midi so GTL won't recognise it. Is there any hack to make it work?

As far as I can tell it doesn't look like the AirTurn Ped supports Bluetooth MIDI. Seams like it has its own system/protocol.

Does it work with any other music apps you have other than the score page turning ones?

Yes I think the Ped has it's own protocol if you use Mode1, and then in the other Modes it basically pretends to be a Bluetooth keyboard. So it work with anything that can use Bluetooth key presses. So Bandhelper, ForScore and Loopy will work, but Gadget, Infinite Looper, Cubasis, GTL will not

I think the Ped is going back to the shop!! The 4 buttons on the Blueboard will be better for most things anyway - plus I like the idea of the 2 expression pedals as well.. will be useful with the new MIDI volume bindings :wink:

• Yes I think the Ped has it's own protocol if you use Mode1, and then in the other Modes it basically pretends to be a Bluetooth keyboard. So it work with anything that can use Bluetooth key presses. So Bandhelper, ForScore and Loopy will work, but Gadget, Infinite Looper, Cubasis, GTL will not

I think the Ped is going back to the shop!! The 4 buttons on the Blueboard will be better for most things anyway - plus I like the idea of the 2 expression pedals as well.. will be useful with the new MIDI volume bindings :wink:

Yes it doesn't sound ideal. In fact you can use key bindings with GTL but it will only work with letters and characters. As far as I can tell the Ped only sends out arrow keys, space and enter key commands, non of which are actual characters. If you think it will be useful I will look into supporting these in the future.
  • Don't worry on my account! But I guess it might be useful for other users in future.
  • edited September 2017
    Man, really thank you for <a href="https://canadian-grand-prix.com/"><font color=#2c3e50>this useful tips</font></a>. It will help me