Skip to content

Ability to import loops (CAF/AppleLoops etc) and "stretch" them like Ableton (or Beckham)

edited November 2016 in Feature Wish-lists
I imagine someone must have suggested this already somewhere - or Jack has - but thought i'd raise it anyway.

Particularly useful for percussion grooves in live situations.

Things could get more sophisticated of course. For example commercial drum loops often come sorted out by bar length ( ( 1/2/4 bars etc ) and into types - vamp/fill/intro-fill/end-fill/fill-to-vamp

But the above could also be a dangerous slide into something like an arranger - which is not really what loopers are about....

... :O

Comments

• edited November 2016
    You can currently import clips via AudioShare, just swipe down on an empty loop and select the AudioShare icon.

Stretching loops - this will come with the 'sample editor' which I plan to incorporate in the near future.
  • edited November 2016
    nonchai wrote:
    But the above could also be a dangerous slide into something like an arranger - which is not really what loopers are about....

... :O

Mmm why not? Arranger could go experimental but experimental is hard to arrange. I bought GTL mainly for arranging approach (and I hope it could grow without dimish other approaches) and it makes unique at appstore...
  • edited November 2016

Mmm why not? Arranger could go experimental but experimental is hard to arrange. I bought GTL mainly for arranging approach (and I hope it could grow without dimish other approaches) and it makes unique at appstore...

We already have "normal" loopers - the reason I purchased GTL is that in fact it's different and becoming more and more powerful.
    Being able to spontaneously re-arrange clips and groups during playback does not conflict with its core functionality if it's implemented properly and in an easy-to-use way.
    Although GTL is more than that, I think that BlocsWave does many things right in terms of working with clips:
    - Select the next/previous group of clips by just one quick left or right swipe over any one of the loops
    - Toggle loop enable/disable for one or multiple loops by just swiping the finger(s) down on them (a different gesture might be more appropriate in GTL, or swipe down to toggle and swipe up to import audio). You can even stop one and launch another loop by swiping two fingers down on both simultaneously.
    - Double-Tap on a loop should open the (future) wave editor
    - The wave editor should clearly indicate beats and bars over the waveform, and it should allow for adjusting the actual start point anywhere within the waveform. Also, an adjustable fade-in/fade-out should be applicable anywhere in the waveform.
    - To record difficult riffs in tiny parts, it would help a lot to be able to record tiny parts, edit them, then somehow tie them together so that, say, part1, part2, part3, part4 play in beat-synced sequence as if they were one loop. This way we could even re-record one part that was too bad, but leave the others untouched.
    - GTL already supports bpm and time signature settings, so this required info is already available for these functions.
  • @ampmaniac wrote:
    We already have "normal" loopers - the reason I purchased GTL is that in fact it's different and becoming more and more powerful.
    Being able to spontaneously re-arrange clips and groups during playback does not conflict with its core functionality if it's implemented properly and in an easy-to-use way.
    Although GTL is more than that, I think that BlocsWave does many things right in terms of working with clips:
    - Select the next/previous group of clips by just one quick left or right swipe over any one of the loops
    - Toggle loop enable/disable for one or multiple loops by just swiping the finger(s) down on them (a different gesture might be more appropriate in GTL, or swipe down to toggle and swipe up to import audio). You can even stop one and launch another loop by swiping two fingers down on both simultaneously.
    - Double-Tap on a loop should open the (future) wave editor
    - The wave editor should clearly indicate beats and bars over the waveform, and it should allow for adjusting the actual start point anywhere within the waveform. Also, an adjustable fade-in/fade-out should be applicable anywhere in the waveform.
    - To record difficult riffs in tiny parts, it would help a lot to be able to record tiny parts, edit them, then somehow tie them together so that, say, part1, part2, part3, part4 play in beat-synced sequence as if they were one loop. This way we could even re-record one part that was too bad, but leave the others untouched.
    - GTL already supports bpm and time signature settings, so this required info is already available for these functions.

Thanks some really helpful info here, especially regarding the sample editor. I will keep this in mind when building it. :)
  • edited November 2016
    I was messing yesterday "link"ing it with blocswave and they are a huge combo (and sync works flawless Jack ;))
    Also I use AudioShare as audio editor doing the job quite well but I undestand the desired integrated editor... meanwhile it doesn't affect performance (please).
    I can make some things offline but live music has compromises...

What about "toggled modes"? Like edit/play? (It comes to my mind maxmsp or puredata shift+E xD)
    with few edit (most common) cappabilities in play mode and full ones in edit (preparation) mode?
  • edited November 2016
    I was messing yesterday "link"ing it with blocswave and they are a huge combo (and sync works flawless Jack ;))
    Also I use AudioShare as audio editor doing the job quite well but I undestand the desired integrated editor... meanwhile it doesn't affect performance (please).
    I can make some things offline but live music has compromises...

Yeh so you will be able to use the sample editor while playing or stopped although certain processing may take a little bit of time but it will not effect playback.
    What about "toggled modes"? Like edit/play?
    Are you talking about the sample editor here? I think it will be a large pop over view to make it easier for editing rather than editing within the loop area.
  • I like the idea of a large editor popover :)
  • edited November 2016
    @Jack Yes.

I imagine the editor option only available in full mode when audio is stopped but few tweaks when is running talking from the power consumption of course. I have a mini 4 so expect some time until it becomes laggy but I love lightweight apps ;)

If the audio processing doesn't imply less playback accuracy the f00k y34h!

Edit [blabla boring blabla]...

As I said the app does most of what I need just right now <3
  • <To record difficult riffs in tiny parts, it would help a lot to be able to record tiny parts, edit them, then somehow tie them together so that, say, part1, part2, part3, part4 play in beat-synced sequence as if they were one loop. >

actually this brings in another feature i suggested - similar to this- only for pre-recorded loops like drums etc.

The ability to import a set of loops - say drum vamp, and fill patterns into groups of 4 8 or 16 would be great. I have these really really cool Billy Martin loops from DrumCore in AIFF form which i'd love to use -but they come separated out into lots of 2 bar phrases, some intros, some fills, some with ride etc.. and to use them i'd have to either somehow trigger then at the right place - or "glue" them together into an appropriate song-section form - say three "Vamp" loops followed by a single fill loop.

DrumCore itself actually allows you to do this from within its plugin. But of course we're talking iOS and GTL here.

Right now though i'm inclined just to use the iOS app SoftDrummer instead. .... which is awesome.