Skip to content

Questions from new user

I just stumbled on this app after scouring the web and app store for an app that covers what I'm looking for. I haven't been home from work yet to buy/try the app, but it's the first thing I'm doing when I get home :-)

In the meantime I had a couple of questions. First of all I would like to say great app! Looks very well thought out and covers ground I haven't seen on other apps.

Ok, so here's my scenario. Currently I use a digitech jamman stereo in the fx loop of a line 6 helix for live gigs. It isn't the best "looper", but it's become invaluable to me for handling backing tracks for live solo shows. I also use an iPad for lyrics and I want to consolidate everything into the iPad, control it with the Helix (via Apple camera connector kit), and eliminate the jamman.

The main features I need to do this are:

Ability to import audio files
Ability to set one shot/play once or loop for each file
Ability to set stop immediately or fade out for each file
Ability to select the next file and have it start once the current file finishes playing.
Ability to stop/start loops and select next/previous loops via footswitches (helix)

I can see lots of awesome possibilities with the feature set of group the loop, but to make the switch completely I need to be able to replicate these features of the jamman.

Is there anything on the list that it can't cover?

Thanks!

Comments

• edited January 2017
    Hey @chuskey, thanks for posting.

Ability to import audio files - YES, via AudioShare.

Ability to set one shot/play once or loop for each file - Not yet, it has been requested before so hopefully we will see it in a future update.

Ability to set stop immediately or fade out for each file - You can stop everything at once or by groups but not individual loops. You can mute loops individually however.

Ability to select the next file and have it start once the current file finishes playing. - YES, this can be achieved by switching between groups.

Ability to stop/start loops and select next/previous loops via footswitches (helix) - YES
  • edited January 2017
    Jack

Thanks for the response!

On the one shots question, could you have an empty group cued up after the loop you want to just play once? That way it would go to a blank loop and would essentially be like the loop stopping.

On the question about fades, it's fine to stop everything. Mainly though can you set it to fade out rather than stop abruptly? The way the Helix handles USB audio coming in I'm unable to control the volume with an expression pedal.

Which makes me think of another question. Can you assign the overall volume to a MIDI value (expression pedal via Helix)? That would actually be the preferred method.

Thanks!!
  • Yes you could CUE in an empty group so the loop stops after the first play although you would have to trigger this manually after recording.

There is no automated fade option yet but you will be able to control the volume of individual loops and groups via MIDI with the new update expected soon. I'm making big improvements to the way GTL handles MIDI control which will include volume control via CC commands.

To control the volume of the main output you may want to try loading GTL into AUM and assigning your expression pedal to the fader there.

Hope that helps.
  • Jack

Thanks, that answers my questions!
  • Hey Chad ! Dan Stenning here - good to have another HELIX user here :)
  • Hey Dan! Helix rocks!! :)