Skip to content

Backing up Files

I am unclear whether iCloud Backup is backing up any GTL files....what should I be doing to backup my work products from GTL?

I imagine this is known to iPad users generally, but I am only using the iPad for music and it looks to me like the iCloud backup is just for restoring contacts, photos, etc.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Hi @gmpolin, the best way to back everything up is to connect via usb to a computer and use iTunes backup. You will have to restore your iPad from iTunes at a later date to retrieve the backed up GTL sessions. There is currently no way to backup individual GTL sessions although you can export audio files for each loop.

• Jack, thanks. I hate to bother you with this stuff, but iTunes for Windows was always a very nasty program...intrusive/crashed a lot/memory hogging/uses lots of resources...years ago I banned it from my kid's computers...so let me know if there are any 3rd party solutions out there. I will pay to avoid iTunes on Windows! (I guess I could buy a used Mac as a backup device, but that doesn't seem safe, either!)

• edited September 2018

I’ve just been looking into iCloud backup and it does seem you can restore your device from it. It would erase your current data in the process so it wouldn’t be any good for getting old versions of files. Presumably you would need quite a bit of iCloud storage too.

• AudioShare wifi spot feature.

• @Jack said:
    I’ve just been looking into iCloud backup and it does seem you can restore your device from it. It would erase your current data in the process so it wouldn’t be any good for getting old versions of files. Presumably you would need quite a bit of iCloud storage too.

Jack, when you say you can restore your device, you mean all files, including the files GTL creates? I had been assuming that iCloud backup just backed up system stuff...you mean it will restore the whole device, including whatever GTL files and files from other music apps..but only if I go sign up for 100 GB of storage for my cloud account?

Thanks for your help understanding this.

• Yes I’m fairly certain. According to the iCloud page, it backs up all app data. Which means all of the GTL session files and loop audio files. It doesn’t back up the actual app but that will download automatically from the AppStore.

You may want to double check this somewhere else as I’m not an expert on iCloud.