Skip to content

Launch ‘groups’ from a hardware sequencer?

edited January 2021 in Help

o/ Hi. I am using a Keystep Pro and wondering if I can launch GTL groups with midi CC? Does it have ‘midi learn’, or how would I do it? I would like to use just some of the keys as midi CC to launch groups.
-Is it possible to set a group to play once then stop, so I could use it just to launch samples?
I love the layering possibilities, will I be able to launch clips in sync with my hardware seqencer?

Comments

• edited January 2021
    Hi smund,

> @smund said:
    > o/ Hi. I am using a Keystep Pro and wondering if I can launch GTL groups with midi CC? Does it have ‘midi learn’, or how would I do it? I would like to use just some of the keys as midi CC to launch groups.

Yes you can assign MIDI CC commands to play, stop and record to groups.

> -Is it possible to set a group to play once then stop, so I could use it just to launch samples?

There’s not a ‘play once’ feature however you can cue up another group to play immediately after the current group.

> I love the layering possibilities, will I be able to launch clips in sync with my hardware seqencer?

GTL doesn’t have midi sync but you might be able to do this with a third party app called Link to MIDI. it synchronises Ableton Link enabled apps with external hardware.

Hope that helps!
  • Thanks for that Jack. A nice app you've made! ^^ I'm hopeful It could work for all of it but need to check something.
    I'm looking for something to launch guitar parts and sample's like I mentioned.
    -On the 'KeyStep Pro' I **can't **set a Key to have a certain Midi CC value so I'd have to control what get's what value from the app with midi learn. So that as an example a "C2" note will be recognized as a midi CC, and then programmed in KSP's sequencer it would launch when it comes time for it. Does that make sense?
    Alternately a third party midi cc app maybe could be a middleman?

• Try koala sampler.

• GTL does have midi learn. It will listen for any midi CC note when you are setting up a midi binding. So you don't need to program the KeyStep, just GTL.

Not sure I'm following with what you want to do with the sequencer, it's early still here!

GTL is designed primarily to be a live looper so the loops will loop round until you tell them to stop. So at present, you can't play a loop once, you will have to manually stop it. You could set up a midi binding with the "Play/Stop" group function. You would need to trigger it once to play and again to stop.

• edited January 2021

:)
    And I can make like midi CC 50-70 to be launch group 1-20? With one universal stop button?

• Yep that would work :)

• Thanx mate. Top of mornings and noons to y'all. About the syncing with my Hardware sequencer, setting the Tempo (KSP) while I am jamming.
    How do would you describe that process, instead of just individually setting them the same tempo manually, you say ableton link would do it?
    It sounds pretty good to loop like this TBH. Thanx for all the Info

• edited January 2021

Morning @smund,

It all depends on your hardware sequencer, does it have MIDI sync? If so then you can probably use another app called Link to MIDI. GTL syncs with other apps via Ableton Link, in this case Link to MIDI. If you have your hardware connected physically to your device via a midi interface then Link to MIDI should be able to sync your hardware to the Ableton Link timeline and thus GTL as well.

I can't guarantee this will work as I have't tried it myself, I believe others have had success though.

• Cool, I'll report back with my successes with the Keystep Pro. Still loving the looks of the app, looks super handy ;)