Skip to content

Using GTL to Record Full Tracks

I'm looking to use it to record full tracks with vocals and everything. So I have to route it to a Mac book and use a DAW for this? Basically I'm finding that it's incredible to be able to group loops and switch between groups seamlessly, but I need to be able to do that and have it recorded to a main track and then be able to rerecord a performance over that track again and then be able to bounce those tracks into one- numerous times. I'm not finding I can record "off of loop" mode over the loops. I want the loops to be the foundation of the track and then be able to switch sequences. How do I can a full vocal track over the loops? How would I record a guitar solo at a certain point in the song if I can't pinpoint it in a main track?

If I need to route the tracks to a mac book, should I plug audio out or is there a better way? Can I do that through USB?

Maybe if there were to be multiple performance tracks that are viewable and bounceable? This would require having a breakout view that was capable of going for 10 min or so. It's basically a viewable "record performance" track- and the ability to record multiple of those while being able to use loop groups would be ultimate. I'm happy to explain further if anyone needs. This app is capable of being a very intuitive and superior full recording app. I'm looking to use it to record an album.

Comments

• edited June 2017
    Hi @GettingLoopy,
    The workflow you described remembers me another app (for desktop atm)
    ALK by Zen Aud.io

browser_style_interface.png
    loop_sequence_view.png
    midi_looping.png
    symmetric_routing.png
    plugin_support.png
    magnetic_note_repeat.png

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/351741/#Comment_351741

Not my cup of tea but could be useful to get ideas for improve GTL.

If I needed something similar atm I will go for GTL + AUM since the last can record like a multitrack tape recorder any hosted app (like GTL).
    I'm not sure why_do you need to record loops, overdub, record solo, record loops again etc as "must" since it seems in my eyes (like ALK app) a speed run recording. Totally unnecessary for make a song and not sure about what " worth plus" could recieve that song to justify the extra work from user and development pov. But that's only a "another user" opinion of course :wink:

Tell us more.
  • @dubbylabby
    So it sounds like I can use AUM and record multiple live performances from GTL and bounce them?
    I can also use AUM to enhance/control the audio that's going into GTL?

I can multitrack record in AUM once certain tracks from GTL are recorded there? Will I be able to view the many tracks at once and record other tracks over those in AUM?
  • @GettingLoopy,

My suggestion would be to record your loops using GTL, then either import or record them into a DAW for post production, vocal overdubs etc. GTL is be great for getting your ideas down but a DAW might be better for editing, post production and recording parts that change throughout the song.

There are some great DAW options for the iPad actually, Auria, Cubasis etc and you can import your loops from GTL to them via AudioShare.

AUM is more of an audio mixer, so yes you can route audio to GTL and record using it but not not multi track.

Hope this helps.
  • @dubbylabby
    So it sounds like I can use AUM and record multiple live performances from GTL and bounce them?

Record like analog multitracker = realtime with performance changes in AUM. Bounce like...?
    I can also use AUM to enhance/control the audio that's going into GTL?

You can use GTL as destination for AB so AUM too vía AB.
    I can multitrack record in AUM once certain tracks from GTL are recorded there?

I don't understand the question, sorry... could you explain step by step what do you want to achieve?
    Will I be able to view the many tracks at once and record other tracks over those in AUM?

View as regular DAW not possible since AUM hasn't linear view. It can load audio stems and sync them with its "loop player". To edit and so AudioShare or if you need more options for linear editing and so Cubasis or similar. Maybe GarageBand Live loops fit in your workflow...
  • Jack wrote: »
    @GettingLoopy,

My suggestion would be to record your loops using GTL, then either import or record them into a DAW for post production, vocal overdubs etc. GTL is be great for getting your ideas down but a DAW might be better for editing, post production and recording parts that change throughout the song.

There are some great DAW options for the iPad actually, Auria, Cubasis etc and you can import your loops from GTL to them via AudioShare.

AUM is more of an audio mixer, so yes you can route audio to GTL and record using it but not not multi track.

Hope this helps.

I think he wants to do some of these post production realtime as part of his show that's what I pointed to ALK but also why I stated not my cup of tea (you know my opinion about live looping vs backing tracks).

Trying GTL with GB seems a powerful combo for multiple takes and remixing approach.
    @GettingLoopy

Live loopers are ideal for fast composition usually and GTL also adds easy to structure song parts. Garageband has some features similar but not so easy in fast workflow... but maybe could help you in find the way to work looping madness and linear sequencing since you can use it as IAA instrument as I posted in the pics. It works for live loops giving you the chance to bounce parts to diferent cells and keeping the remix whatever of looping aside with recording solos or multiple stems at your fingers. What it lacks?
    Midi remote control for performing live without need to touch the screen or easy app switching to see what's happening in the background... so as I often advice simplify your workflow the most you can and try to find the right tool for each step :wink:

• edited December 2017
    Good screenshots. Thanx for sharing them <a href=https://tour-of-britain.com/><font color=#2c3e50>here</font></a>!
  • edited February 2018
    dubbylabby wrote: »

Trying GTL with GB seems a powerful combo for multiple takes and remixing approach.
    @GettingLoopy

This looks very interesting. How do you sync GTL and garageband?
  • edited February 2018
    Manual way since GB lacks in another “sync” (AFAIK) but also exporting loops with dragndrop (or documents) could be handy.
    To be fair ATM (and until I test deeply GTL with iOS11) I’ve gone the _old laptop with some Ableton version_ path. I was using BlocsWave/Launchpad for ease of use and decent stability but iOS11 made me cut this road totally. GarageBand still gets good performance so I need to test GTL for that reason. I don’t want to ditch the iPad but I can’t rely on glitchy hardware.
    Also I need to check the “next song” midi binding to determine if it worths the effort import my songs into GTL as backing track tool. I loop less and less but it will be amazing to have the chance so I will look into it ASAP.

My gold rule is simplicity...
    so in Ableton I just need to trigger loops via midi footpedal to play over them with the keytar. Nothing else and for homestudio (youtube channel) purposes where crashing isn’t important, just make another take until I get it.
    Then if my crowd grows I expect drop some dollars on dedicated hardware like Pioneer ToRaiz or similar. Anyways I will keep my iPad/itrack dock due they are great combo for composing songs (until novation fucks BlocsWave) but I will keep GTL/LoopyHD and GB ftw!
  • @dubbylabby thanks, it's too bad GB is such a closed system.
  • fattigman wrote: »
    @dubbylabby thanks, it's too bad GB is such a closed system.

Agreed. Since it seems intentional more than mistake it makes another check on the list to ditch iOS as music platform...
  • fattigman wrote: »
    @dubbylabby thanks, it's too bad GB is such a closed system.

so true.