Skip to content

Some MIDI requests

edited January 2020 in Help

Hello

I'm playing around with GTL's MIDI features, as I managed to get an old Korg nanoKEY2 and nanoKONTROL2 from a friend.

Here are some things that I think would be very useful:

Change multiplier mode via MIDI: I usually have the "Multiply" option set for this, but in rare cases, I need a clock length which doesn't fit the multiplication of 2, so I need to switch to "Add". It would be very useful to bind this to a MIDI key, so I can toggle the multiplier mode by pressing a button on my nanoKONTROL2.

In addition, I think it would be useful to have a small icon on the screen indicating the current multiplier mode.

It would also be useful to be able to swipe down on the clock area to toggle the multiplier mode (it's a little bit finicky, because if you swipe down from too high above, the iOS control center opens, but it should work pretty reliably if you are aware of it).

Use multiple MIDI devices: At the time being, only one MIDI device is active within GTL. This is a bit surprising, because in the settings, it looks like you can select a MIDI device per binding:

I wonder whether I could use an USB MIDI device and a Bluetooth one side by side at the time being already though?

Setting clock length via knob: It would be great to be able to assign a knob on my nanoKONTROL2 to set the clock length. When turning the knob, the clock would simply increase or decrease (depending on the direction I'm turning). This could be dependent on the multiplier mode (MIDI setting 1), or would always use "Add" (MIDI setting 2), or would always use "Multiply" (MIDI setting 3); I could set up 3 different knobs this way (which wouldn't make a lot of sense, but users' preferences may vary, so it's good to provide those options).

Thank you for creating this awesome looping app. <3

Comments

• Interesting points @josh I though it was possible to set more than one remote controller (I know about the limitation from bluetooth which just lets use one but regular midi should be possible to combine...). Since I want to use foot pedal and tabletop controller I hope this could be possible, if not total bummer for me :cry:

About specific bindings (or gestures) try them. Some swipping gestures were added to the loop length divisions but not sure if those you ask for...

• edited January 2020

Multiple MIDI connections has been requested before. I agree it would be very handy.

Good point about the midi port selector on both views, it's really just for convenience. If we were to add multiple port connections then bindings would probably still just be attached to specific commands and independent of any device. You would of course need to make sure all your connected devices sent out unique midi messages.

• Mmmm so I should route different controllers through something like midiflow meanwhile?

I though it was possible to make the same binding for different controllers since I will want to double some of them between tabletop controller and foot controller. Makes sense?