Skip to content

Sample FX tails

Hi, is there a way to let the effects tails play out when switching groups? If I have a delay or reverb on a loop now as soon as I switch group the effect is cut off sharp.

Thanks

Comments

• edited January 2021

Not at the moment I'm afraid. I remember looking into this a while ago, it required leaving all effects live all the time. Unfortunately this did not play well with large complex sessions, often overwhelming the CPU and causing audio glitches. GTL actively bypasses the effects when the loops are not being played, this allows us to keep adding groups and effects as the song progresses and not worry about glitches and drops (as much...). The downside is no effect tails between group switching, I've yet to come up with a good solution.

• Maybe delay the fx bypass for 1 bar or have it configurable with a slider for tail length time?

• @Jack said:
    Not at the moment I'm afraid. I remember looking into this a while ago, it required leaving all effects live all the time. Unfortunately this did not play well with large complex sessions, often overwhelming the CPU and causing audio glitches. GTL actively bypasses the effects when the loops are not being played, this allows us to keep adding groups and effects as the song progresses and not worry about glitches and drops (as much...). The downside is no effect tails between group switching, I've yet to come up with a good solution.

Transform the fx slots into sends and implement AUM-like mixer... first step to multitrack recording...

Happy new year!
    ;)

• It’s definitely the way forward for reverb etc. Cheers @dubbylabby. GTL 3?
  • @Jack said:
    It’s definitely the way forward for reverb etc. Cheers @dubbylabby. GTL 3?

It could be also a different app companion? Like Lumbeat apps with iBassist as brain... maybe it will be better to start from what GTL lacks and then in the future merge them?

Just an idea... :smirk:

• edited June 2021

Hi,
    just wanted to chime in on the FX tail issue.
    Any news yet? @Jack
    This really should be fixed imo.
    I am blown away by the power of GTL but the cut off of Fx tails is a bit of a bummer. i.e Dubdelays shouldnt be cut. ngl This doesn’t really fit into this otherwise brilliant app.

On new ipad pros cpu shouldn’t be remotely bothered by double FX live
    On smaller iPads one could optionally deactivate FX tails then.
    Alternatively ( or even better) I would humbly suggest offering individual outputs (Like Quantiloop) or individual sends so we can add our FX or make multitrack recordings in AUM.
    I tried with apematrix Mixer Send Receive, but no interapp routing possible alas as far as I could figure.

I am not a programmer and maybe things aren’t as easy as I wish but if you could fix this somehow or suggest a workaround many people would be very happy☺️

Cheers

• Thanks @dubydeeaddict,

I'll take a look at this again next week. Effects will eventually have to be bypassed while loops are sitting idle otherwise projects will quickly run out of processing power. Maybe there's a way to keep them open for a period of time after a loop has stopped. Then we need to know how long the tail of each effect will be...

I'll keep you posted how I get on.

• Nice. Like autodetect in ableton bounce (include tails)😃
    Or just 5 sec.
    Or individual outs/ fx sends for external mixing😊

Just thinking out loud.
  • @dubydeeaddict,
    I think I've got somewhere with this.

Let me know if you'd like to join the beta.

Cheers!

• > @Jack said:
    > @dubydeeaddict,
    > I think I've got somewhere with this.
    >
    > Let me know if you'd like to join the beta.
    >
    > Cheers!

sure count me in
  • edited June 2021
    Great, feel free to drop me your email and I’ll send you an invite to the beta. Info@grouptheloop.come