Skip to content

New Feature Poll

edited November 2016 in Feature Wish-lists
Let me know which feature you'd most like to see in a future update of Group the Loop. Message me if you would like to add a feature to the poll.

Comments

• This falls somewhat under "more Audiobus trigger controls", but the visual measure counter that Loopy has in their Audiobus sidebar is extremely helpful.
  • edited October 2016
    This falls somewhat under "more Audiobus trigger controls", but the visual measure counter that Loopy has in their Audiobus sidebar is extremely helpful.
    Yes others have mentioned this as well. I'll add it to my todo list. :)
  • After checking out the beta I'd say GTL is ready for prime time in my live setup. Excellent work, Jack.<br /><br />I am shocked that there are not more requests for different tempos for groups. I mean, the groups are the killer feature of this app! I would think more folks would want to bump the tempo of a chorus up a couple of BPM to give a tune a little kick... I would have given this feature all three of my votes if it would have let me.<br /><br />Keep up the good work!<br />
  • Jack, am I missing count-in and count-out option for loops in this list?
  • edited October 2016
    Jack, am I missing count-in and count-out option for loops in this list?
    Are you after count in/out for mute? That's under 'CUE for mute/overdub'
  • edited October 2016
    Are you after count in/out for mute? That's under 'CUE for mute/overdub'
    Got it. Changed my vote!  Thanks...
  • i'd like to have a longer count in time, so that i can switch to another app screen before recording starts. Also, I'd love to be able to use sidecar app to trigger record on group the loop. Also, ability to use iaa or au effects withing the fx chain.
  • a few more ideas. 1. would like the ability to trim a loop within the app. 2. is love to be able to automate pitch across a loop, in order to make a riser. 3. i'd like to be able to reverse the loop waveform.
  • lol i keep thinking of more ideas. how about a "transition" bank. basically it is a bank of one shot loops, thant can play as soon as the play button is clicked on the next group it is switching too, and turn off as soon as that group starts playing. as it is switching from one group to another. so a user can have a swoosh, or special effects sound, or something intresting like that
  • Hi @eross21, all great suggestions!

Reverse, trim are on the poll under 'Sample Editor' so I'm definitely considering them.
    Longer count in is under '2 bar count in' on the poll.
    Side car app - not sure how this works but most of GTL functions can be triggered by MIDI commands.
    IAA effects - I'd love to include this at some point! I've added it to the poll.
    Pitch automation - not sure this could be done on individual loops as it would change the timing and put them out of sync. It would be possible to automate the session tempo though.
    "Transition" bank - good idea although this would require a significant UI change. There's probably something you can do with Ableton Link and a sampler app to achieve something similar.

Thanks for your input!
  • edited October 2016
    Jack wrote:
    Hi @eross21, all great suggestions!

Reverse, trim are on the poll under 'Sample Editor' so I'm definitely considering them.
    Side car app - not sure how this works but most of GTL functions can be triggered by MIDI commands.
    IAA effects - I'd love to include this at some point! I've added it to the poll.
    Pitch automation - not sure this could be done on individual loops as it would change the timing and put them out of sync. It would be possible to automate the session tempo though.
    "Transition" bank - good idea although this would require a significant UI change. There's probably something you can do with Ableton Link and a sampler app to achieve something similar.

Thanks for your input!

how do i trigger record via midi from another app?
  • edited October 2016
    Jack wrote:

Thanks for your input!

could you do a pitch envelope at the end of the signal chain? for the whole thing on master channel. basically you would set it up to change the pitch of all audio going out of the app. so say set it for 10 seconds/ or bars,or beats. and have it ramp up or down within that time envelope.
  • eross21 wrote:
    Jack wrote:

Thanks for your input!

how do i trigger record via midi from another app?

Ah dam, thought i'd added this awhile back. Going to try and get it enabled in the next update.
  • edited October 2016
    eross21 wrote:
    could you do a pitch envelope at the end of the signal chain? for the whole thing on master channel. basically you would set it up to change the pitch of all audio going out of the app. so say set it for 10 seconds/ or bars,or beats. and have it ramp up or down within that time envelope.

Yep this is possible, others have requested independent tempos/time signatures for groups. Would this achieve what you were after, maybe if you had an option to ramp into the new tempo in the group rather that just switching instantly.
  • yeah that might be cool. here is the effect i'm going for. basically transposing the loop up or down. see 2:58 of this video
  • edited October 2016
    eross21 wrote: »
    yeah that might be cool. here is the effect i'm going for. basically transposing the loop up or down. see 2:58 of this video

Ah I see, so this is essentially automated time/pitch stretching. The plan is to eventually include time/pitch stretching in with the sample editor so maybe there could be some kind of automation option as well to achieve this sort of transposing effect.
  • edited November 2016
    Jack wrote:
    Ah I see, so this is essentially automated time/pitch stretching. The plan is to eventually include time/pitch stretching in with the sample editor so maybe there could be some kind of automation option as well to achieve this sort of transposing effect.

oh yeah, that would be perfect!!! yes please
  • Hi Jack,
    New user here. Been rinsing this app for the past few days and I absolutely love it, particularly the drag to merge loop function!
    A few things which aren't on the list, but I would be stoked to see and happy to pay for (have been mentioned by a couple of others)

1. Master/group fx. Particularly for transitions between groups

2. Ability to record into a silent loop, either by
    A) being able to set initial empty slot vol to 0
    B) being able to record into a different group without stopping currently playing group
    C) maybe just some one-shot pads? (With the same drag functionality of the loop slots)
    Would be mega handy for improv, where you don't necessarily have prepared loops and want to set up next group on the fly. One shot pads would also be great for crashes etc.

All in all though, this app rocks. I have some big trips coming up, and my portable rig (op1->ipad/GTL) is now approaching the same workflow fluidity as my usual rig, which contains kp3 and Octatrack! Aeroplane jams here I come!

Cheers,
    H.
  • Hey @Staggersaur. That's brilliant, glad your enjoying it!

1. Master/group fx. Particularly for transitions between groups
    Group effects, added to the poll.

2. Ability to record into a silent loop, either by
    A) being able to set initial empty slot vol to 0
    B) being able to record into a different group without stopping currently playing group
    C) maybe just some one-shot pads? (With the same drag functionality of the loop slots)
    Would be mega handy for improv, where you don't necessarily have prepared loops and want to set up next group on the fly. One shot pads would also be great for crashes etc.
    A - This would be the simplest approach, some sort of mute loop after record option?
    B - This would require playing multiple groups simultaneously. I think we could run into trouble as there is a potential 84 loops across 21 groups. Running so manny could be tricky to manage. I've been toying with the idea of 8 loops per group, this would be an option to expand each group.
    C - Yes good idea, sort of like a sketch pad. Then when your happy, you drag them over to a group. This would be a fairly big UI change, I will add it to the poll.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.
    Happy air jamming!
  • Hi, new user here from audiobus forum!
    I suggested midi clock for sync to non link enabled apps but in the poll I vote for midi bindings. Never is enough of them xD

Glad to be part of this.
    Cheers.
  • edited November 2016
    Hi, new user here from audiobus forum!
    I suggested midi clock for sync to non link enabled apps but in the poll I vote for midi bindings. Never is enough of them xD

Glad to be part of this.
    Cheers.

Hi @dubbylabby, thanks for joining and your input!

I've added an extra vote to MIDI clock sync on your behalf. :)
  • My "tuppeneth" :

1 Sample Editor. Including trim, time stretch, timing adjustment, reverse.

Although personally just being able to adjust the starting point and trim would be enough. Don't need a full editor - just something to fix my bad timing ! or bad startings.

2 MIDI CC Commands. Control volume, pan, effects etc...
    3 CUE for mute and overdub
    4 Larger group play button, it can be a little tricky to press
    5 2 bar count in
    6 More than 4 loops per group
    7 More MIDI binding options

• @nonchai wrote:
    My "tuppeneth" :

1 Sample Editor. Including trim, time stretch, timing adjustment, reverse.

Although personally just being able to adjust the starting point and trim would be enough. Don't need a full editor - just something to fix my bad timing ! or bad startings.

2 MIDI CC Commands. Control volume, pan, effects etc...
    3 CUE for mute and overdub
    4 Larger group play button, it can be a little tricky to press
    5 2 bar count in
    6 More than 4 loops per group
    7 More MIDI binding options

That's pretty much my order of priority :)

With the sample editor, trim and timing adjustment will probably be the most used features although it's a great opportunity to add some of the other long awaited requests as well. It maybe that these are added after the first edition though but we will see.
  • I find the current implementation of delete, mute and overdub a bit "modal" and not very "immediate" in a rushed fast paced loop creation session - particularly if knackered a bit drunk, out of practice and needing to redo loops often. An UNDO ( without requiring that the playback engine stops ) button that is accessible at all times for the last record/delete/overdub action performed and invokable in one-click would be better - or a REDO button - better still.
  • i often found myself entering the wrong "mode" or page when working on hard bits late at night Carol Of The Bells being one - Jesu Joy Of Desiring another - done impromptu - then realising I seriously need to just learn the parts or actually "read the dots" ( .... THE HORROR THE HORROR )
  • edited December 2016
    @nonchai wrote:
    I find the current implementation of delete, mute and overdub a bit "modal" and not very "immediate" in a rushed fast paced loop creation session - particularly if knackered a bit drunk, out of practice and needing to redo loops often. An UNDO ( without requiring that the playback engine stops ) button that is accessible at all times for the last record/delete/overdub action performed and invokable in one-click would be better - or a REDO button - better still.

So like a re-record button, or swipe left on last loop layer to clear loop and then you can record again?

What if an easy access re-record button popped up just after you've recorded something but then disappears after a cycle of the loop. The re-record option could also be accessed through the loop menu or triggered by MIDI.
  • edited December 2016
    [So like a re-record button, or swipe left on last loop layer to clear loop and then you can record again?]

yes

[What if an easy access re-record button popped up just after you've recorded something but then disappears after a cycle of the loop ]

great idea. Maybe along with an UNDO button next to it too (with enough size/seperation not to make mistakes ). Undo because one might need a few cycles to practice before redoing.

[The re-record option could also be accessed through the loop menu or triggered by MIDI ]

perfect
  • edited January 2017
    It's possible or it could be "load song" with midi data input?
    Something like a binding which let us load a song from a playlist (or the actual labeling each "slot" as a position in the playlist make easy for us label songs like "00name; 01name...).

So play a song, end, hit a button and you are ready for the next song or even "load next, previous on the playlist"...
  • I like the idea, it would be easy to add a 'load next song' MIDI binding although this would load the next available song in the 'Sessions' tab. Having a playlist like you suggested would be a good approach but I'm not quite sure where this would fit into the design of the app.