Skip to content

iPhone version. Let’s talk again...

There has been two years since we talked about this and in this time Apple have diched iPad minis in favor of larger iPhones.
So since we have bigger screens for what seemed too much clumsy info for a phone back in the day, maybe it’s time to rethink and contribute a GTL version for mobile.

Maybe a LE version? Maybe an AUv3 new reduced version to fill some gaps?

Talk!

Comments

• edited August 2018

I agree @dubbylabby, i'll get working on the iPhone version again soon. The question is, how to market it? I like the AUv3 idea, I was thinking of dong something like this anyway.

• Hi!
    IMHO there are 2+1 approaches...
    1- Dedicated iPhone version.
    It should be something more simple anyways with a proper workflow keeping the advanced functions I described for iPads. Even working on portrait mode (in fact song sections will make more sense in that orientation)
    2- AUv3 universal version of song part to be used as insert loop recorder or glorified sample player (lots of people asking for something like this to work inside AUM). Midi clock/link _issue_ solved...
    3- Universal version just GUI adapted. It will be _theoretically_ easy to maintain but I saw more drawbacks than pros to this option from strategic POV.

So I think the idea of rebuilding the GUI alongside a simplification of the workflow is the way to go inside a bigger strategy with converging workflow/versions into the future. Taking in mind how Apple point guidelines (now seems AUv3 is the way to go and IAA will be deprecated being a compromise solution to AB competition). Some users will get pissed off but we must understand this is a business and compromises must be taken.
    Not an easy landscape for sure...

To keep the win/win scenario AUv3 seem the most straight forward and future proof approach. Probably someone is working on it meanwhile we talk but GTL 1.4 has reached a sweet moment (and my day before release post totally lucky spotlight) seems to became a success for your app (maybe a soundtestroom review will be even better...)... what I want to say is get profit for the momentum and ask new users about AUv3 simplified version for iPhone and regular AUM/DAW hosting lovers. A sample recorder/player with timestretch has lots of user request at AB forum.

Let’s talk about iPhone simplied workflow as AUv3 basis then.
    I imagine a portrait mode with song mode module (one) as the main window. All the preference things will be mostly unnecessary due to Host cappabilities and other channels as drum track, etc...
    maybe a swipe song parts instead more than one instance? IDK what is better from performance bug ironning side but multiple instances looks more flexible IMHO.
    Even the Master group could be just another channel. Be aware of multiple instance issues (reSlice I’m looking at you) to deliver a friendly experience crash&bug free :wink:
    About GUI controls... swipe and “edit/import in GTL/AudioShare” alongside the Files.app actual support.

Outside AUv3 hosting as standalone iPhone version maybe a cramped main group om top (square without waveform but color as I explained in the wishlist topic) and song part bigger, an arrow to right, new song part button... I need to draw it!
  • edited August 2018

Some great ideas here @dubbylabby.

I suspect I would go down the universal road with AUv3 embedded. Therefore it would be one app, rebranded as GTL Pro, with an iPhone, iPad and AUv3 extension. Would this work out financially, I'm not sure.

Technically everything is in place to make this possible but it would require quite a lot of GUI work and that won't happen over night.

• I will try to mockup something to help the most I can :blush:
  • Here we go!

• @Jack please tell us what you think about this. I will really appreciate it... :smiley:

• edited October 2018
    Hi @dubbylabby, wow some great work thanks!

I love the colours, interesting idea with the pickers.

Your Auv3 implementation is nice too. I like the way it loads as a single group. Synchronisation between groups could be done over the network or some sort of inter app protocol.

Really appreciate your input thanks!
  • I’m so glad and happy you find it useful. I hope it translates into something in your work and keep fueling inspiration. I love your work mate... :heart:

• @dubbylabby said:
    I’m so glad and happy you find it useful. I hope it translates into something in your work and keep fueling inspiration. I love your work mate... :heart:

:smiley:

• Maybe I should think how to implement the monolithic app approach in relation to iPhone GUI but to be fair iPhone X with all full screen is near to iPad mini size so maybe Apple will make this just a merge...

• edited January 2019
    Hi,

Buddy @dubbylabby talked me about grooptheloop on Audiobus forum and shows me this thread ;)

@Jack I’m also super interested by iPhone version, both standalone and AUV3.

Loopy is nice on iPhone, but proper loop grouping misses, so grouptheloop should be a very nice addition for iPhones musicians (ok we’re not a lot, but more apps will go universal more interesting will become that device for music making!!).

• Hi @janosax,

I’m working on the iPhone version now so it should come with the next update, well that’s the plan anyway.

• @Jack said:
    Hi @janosax,

I’m working on the iPhone version now so it should come with the next update, well that’s the plan anyway.

wow!

• edited January 2019
    > @Jack said:
    > Hi @janosax,
    >
    > I’m working on the iPhone version now so it should come with the next update, well that’s the plan anyway.

That’s great news!!! We can do really good things with today’s iPhones, and that’s with maximum mobility and portability: studio in the pocket!! On looper side Loopy used with Audiobus and AUM is really capable. But loop groops are a problem, I’ve just bought LP-5 for that purpose but it’s not stable enough for making live music safely.

Grouptheloop will be the answer I hope. Do you work on both standalone and AU versions? Do you think you can give just an idea if it will be ready in a few months? 2019? Later? I don’t want to buy an iPad, I’m obsessive with my iPhone and music making lol, and my laptop with Ableton Live is my other looper rig setup. If you need some beta testing, I’m ready with my 7 Plus to help ;)
  • @janosax, I’d like to get the beta out in a month or so but these things often take longer than anticipated.

An AUv3 version is certainly on the cards but it won’t be for awhile yet.

Thanks for offering to beta test, if you could message me your email I’ll send you an invite when it’s ready.

Cheers!

• @Jack ok thanks pm sent! In fact I’m more interested by standalone version for live looping, but AU will be a must for production in modular hosting environment IMO.
  • @janosax said:
    @Jack ok thanks pm sent! In fact I’m more interested by standalone version for live looping, but AU will be a must for production in modular hosting environment IMO.

I'm agree about monolithic apps but also with the AU must.

Whenever it comes it will be welcome :blush:

• I would also love to do beta testing. I have an iPhone 5, hope this is enough. ;)

I send you a pm with my email...

• edited February 2019

Hello again :smiley:

I was putting order in my different setups and I noticed something I will love to discuss with @Jack .

When an app becomes universal which means in terms of retrocompatibility? It's mandatory to support all the different screen sizes or it's possible to ditch some just for usability limitations?

I ask this because even I will love to see an universal GTL app (alongside AUv3 version) I can understand make it working on iPhone 5s (let's say 64bits units and above) seems a bit PITA from UIX design side.

I noticed it because I was djing yesterday with Djay app with my mini4 but also I have the app in the 5s since it's universal. Djay also changes the whole UI when you use it landscape vs portrait and that's another option to make GTL viable in small screens too...

Let me explain it a bit to put some light in my idea.

Imagine put the same GUI from iPad into 5s screen... no way
    but what if
    portrait mode show just the active group and two arrows for go previous/next?
    It will be similar to the AUv3 mockup

with some wrapping around it with the usual tools and so. Main group could be reduced into square icons (like the reverb ones) and show content if you touch them (if it could be like Garageband Live Loops... heaven...)

Pause...

I need to mockup this.

• Few comments about the pic...

• Top row has the factor buttons, swipping left from center divides, swipping right multiplies... swipping up sums by factor... swipping down rests by factor... all of these are also buttons but it could be toggleable (on/off) at preferences.
    • Main group ala Live loops self explanatory...
    • Actual group (with color assignment for better ableton export).

• Left group control buttons
      • Footer "group description", previous/next and play stop for group...
      • Right FX.
    • Footer with cue, 1234, tictoc, drummer...

Do you like it?
    Comment, improvements, criticism... is welcome!

• edited February 2019

Hi @dubbylabby, sorry for the delay relying!

Thanks for the UI ideas, very helpful :)

@dubbylabby said:
    When an app becomes universal which means in terms of retrocompatibility? It's mandatory to support all the different screen sizes or it's possible to ditch some just for usability limitations?

GTL iPhone should work with all screen sizes, well that's the plan. I've not got round to testing all devices yet but for the smaller screen sizes there maybe fewer loop spaces available.

Imagine put the same GUI from iPad into 5s screen... no way
    but what if
    portrait mode show just the active group and two arrows for go previous/next?

Yes I've done this, in portrait mode on the iPad or iphone only one group is displayed. No arrows but still the usual drag to navigate the groups mechanism.

with some wrapping around it with the usual tools and so. Main group could be reduced into square icons (like the > reverb ones) and show content if you touch them (if it could be like Garageband Live Loops... heaven...)

Yes I've reduced the width of the master group loops, although I've gone for two rows as the iPhone offers more height in portrait.

Top row has the factor buttons, swipping left from center divides, swipping right multiplies... swipping up sums by > factor... swipping down rests by factor... all of these are also buttons but it could be toggleable (on/off) at preferences.

Oh nice, I've done the swipe left/right to multiply but not up and down. So would that result in something like x2, x4, x6, x8?

Actual group (with color assignment for better ableton export).

I like the idea although it's a bit of a redesign for the way the GTL UI works. At the moment, the colours represent the state of a loop, i.e. stopped, playing, muted, recording....

Right FX.

I've got rid of this on the smaller screens. Since I introduced AUv3 effects, I allowed users to tap on the insert slots to add new effects, so we can just adopt this approach on the iPhone.

Footer with cue, 1234, tictoc, drummer...

Nice idea, I hadn't thought of this. At the moment these buttons are exposed by tapping on the clock view.

• Wow looks very nice great job @Jack
  • edited February 2019

Thank you @janosax.

• > @Jack said:
    > Thank you @janosax.

I’ve taken a screenshot of one of your pic and zoomed in and that looks great on my 7 Plus.
  • Haha, shame the buttons don't work...

• > @Jack said:
    > Haha, shame the buttons don't work...

Ohhhh yes real shame, I think it’s a bug :D
  • edited February 2019

Yeah @Jack love to see this happen in any way! I just need to share my designs more than as perfect solution as inspiration and I will hate not to see something happen for being shy...

GTL mobile version is going to be a dream app for sure... thanks a lot for your work and open discussion :heart:

• edited February 2019

Top row has the factor buttons, swipping left from center divides, swipping right multiplies... swipping up sums by > factor... swipping down rests by factor... all of these are also buttons but it could be toggleable (on/off) at preferences.

Oh nice, I've done the swipe left/right to multiply but not up and down. So would that result in something like x2, x4, x6, x8?

Yes or by factor you have selected as usual.

Actual group (with color assignment for better ableton export).

I like the idea although it's a bit of a redesign for the way the GTL UI works. At the moment, the colours represent the state of a loop, i.e. stopped, playing, muted, recording....

The actual could be the initial behaviour and later get a picker in the pre-export moment to make it easier to work in computer (from the old talk about implemented editor). I need to think a bit more about this since I believe there can be a way to keep monolithic approach with AUv3 modular. Ableton export and Files integration could be helpful even they were involved more taps than desired... that will make GTL an awesome composition tool (more than it is ATM of course...)

Right FX.
    I've got rid of this on the smaller screens. Since I introduced AUv3 effects, I allowed users to tap on the insert slots to add new effects, so we can just adopt this approach on the iPhone.

Nice. I'm still figuring how to use properly effects in this context. As usual being more a composition tool than performance tool for me (maybe it will change with the iPhone version just sayin...) I haven't thought deeply on it. Maybe presets for content could be useful? something like Garageband does when you add new track. Just to keep things simple...

Footer with cue, 1234, tictoc, drummer...

Nice idea, I hadn't thought of this. At the moment these buttons are exposed by tapping on the clock view.

Yes I feel my design it's clumsy and I probably will hate it in my 5s :lol: but also too much pop-ups or so will be crazy... I put the arrows on groups but I'm one of these who use looper apps with external midi gear 100% times. Touchscreens, sweat and music are ingredientes for wrecking a ball gig IMHO. I have even consider buying a Digitech trio+ for my live gigs even being so limited in comparison with GTL... shame trio+ hasn't midi out and beatbuddy is expensive and lacks over the bass/drum creation from audio input.

If you fit these inside GTL I will marry you or find someone proper for you. As iOS developer you should be lonely and so...
    :trollface: jk

Thanks once again Sir. :heart:

• @Jack so how is going iPhone version? Does beta testing beginning soon? B) :p